techniques for removing broken pickup screw...

I doubt anyone is going to turn me on to a magic bullet here as I'm familiar with a lot of different ways so perhaps just some comisseration.   I broke a body mount pickup screw, couldn't get it out... so drilled a new hole and switched to new screws.  broke one half off on first attempt... that came out easy as some shank was exposed.  widened the hole... then broke another off clean.  now I've got two in there clean.  sum biotch!

i have tried filing a groove in the top and backing out with flathead but they are both broken right at the surface... so no go.  on a #4 screw a reverse bit isn't going to help ime.  they are in there pretty tight so I'm fairly sure how gluing on a piece using jbweld is gonna go.  at this point I'm thinking of drilling small holes right next to them and seeing if I can pry them out... then fill in with dowel.  my new screws are stainless.  (orig ones were actually steel but then one mans steel is not another mans steel). woe is me.

Ok, got them both out without damaging my finish.  now... I could put this on my drill press, try to cut out an even 1/4" area for a dowel... but it's half excavated so... who knows how that ends.  I could just fill it with epoxy.  Not sure what way I'll go... what direction would you lean?

well I know none of y'all will be able to sleep until you hear the conclusion to the broken pickup screw saga so I thought I'd better update ma thread one last time...

drill several small holes next to each screw.  started working them back and forth with a thin screwdriver.  used a needle nose to pry them out once they were loose.  drilled a 3/8" hole on my press.  used a scored dowel - the type you might use on furniture, as these expand a bit with the moisture from the glue.  plugged it up, painted the area with conductive, drilled a new hole and voilla. 

swapped all the screws out w stainless... think I'll stick to stainless from here on out.  the originals were steel but the stainless feel real solid.  crisis averted!  in the process i managed to create another little fix... I dropped my screwdriver and put one little ding it the body.  it's hardly visible but I'm thinking I may spray some lacquer into a cup, and try to fill it, then wetsand... for now I'm enjoying a minute to play the damn thing!

well. .   next time....  file the slot.... heat the screw with a solder tool... that melts the resins in the wood which acts as a glue when you first run the screw in...  back it out...  

always drill a pilot hole.... and use wax on the  screw to act as a lubricant when you run it in...

and pro tip . .  NEVER use the screws that come with parts.... with the possible exception of a few of the better known boutique parts makers, they all use the cheapest junk they can find..  made of inferior steel...   replace the screws with quality Stainless steel screws,,  you can usually find them at the local large chain Hardware store, Like Ace or True Value..  or the monster stores like Home Depot or Lowes... or on line at MCMaster-Carr ..

the only time I use the original supplied screws is if there are no Stainless substitutes available,, and then, I;m really very careful.

rk

1 hour ago, Ronkirn said:

well. .   next time....  file the slot.... heat the screw with a solder tool... that melts the resins in the wood which acts as a glue when you first run the screw in...  back it out...  

always drill a pilot hole.... and use wax on the  screw to act as a lubricant when you run it in...

and pro tip . .  NEVER use the screws that come with parts.... with the possible exception of a few of the better known boutique parts makers, they all use the cheapest junk they can find..  made of inferior steel...   replace the screws with quality Stainless steel screws,,  you can usually find them at the local large chain Hardware store, Like Ace or True Value..  or the monster stores like Home Depot or Lowes... or on line at MCMaster-Carr ..

the only time I use the original supplied screws is if there are no Stainless substitutes available,, and then, I;m really very careful.

rk

thank you sir.  I followed 90% of that... hadn't thought of heating the screw... good call.  (btw I'm a big fan of many of your build threads at tdpri!)

I do always make a pilot, I never use screws that come with stuff - good advice.  The orig steel I used were from ace and were pretty decent quality (I over-tightened)... but the replacement was also from ace (dif location), the same thing, and was horrible.  Perhaps just a bad batch.  Def sticking to the stainless!

thank you for the response.

3 minutes ago, Ronkirn said:

didja get the little booger out yet?

Ron

sure did ron, and thank you for asking.  I ended up just drilling little holes right next to the two, and once I could see the screw used a needle nose to work it back and forth and then pull them both out.  then did a 3/8" hole w a forstner, then plugged it with dowel.  Painted over with conductive and it disappeared. 

• Like 1