Neck joint machine bolts

Tried them with hard maple and they work fine. Practice on some scrap before doing the real thing. I ended up making a little jig to ensure that they go in straight. It's pretty easy to have them go in a little sideways without one. Don't forget to counter sink the hole a bit also before driving them in to prevent tear out.

Make sure you leave enough wood around the inserts, make sure they go in straight, don't drive them into the fretboard and you will be fine.

Here's one more thing to watch for when doing this:

When using a normal wood screw you can get away with a little error in your drilling. The wood screw will find the hole and drive in a bit slanted. With these, they won't want to do that. You need to be very careful/accurate with your drilling. You'll like it when you're done.

Sorry, I was talking about the driving in of the inserts. The drill press is the right thing to do. When you drive the inserts into the wood, it's easy to go in at a slant. I drilled a hole through some scrap 2" wood about the size of the T handle. I then drilled a 3/4" hole on one end so the insert could fit inside. I place the whole thing over the neck and start screwing in the insert. You can't see what's happening this way so I stop once in a while and look. It has never gone in slanted when I used this little helper. I have some pics at home on this stuff but unfortunately, I can't post them for a while. Let me know if you are still confused - it's hard to describe.

Sorry, I was talking about the driving in of the inserts. The drill press is the right thing to do. When you drive the inserts into the wood, it's easy to go in at a slant. I drilled a hole through some scrap 2" wood about the size of the T handle. I then drilled a 3/4" hole on one end so the insert could fit inside. I place the whole thing over the neck and start screwing in the insert. You can't see what's happening this way so I stop once in a while and look. It has never gone in slanted when I used this little helper. I have some pics at home on this stuff but unfortunately, I can't post them for a while. Let me know if you are still confused - it's hard to describe.

I think I see what you're saying and it sounds perfect. I've never thought of using them on a bolt on but I have used them for the control cavity screws and I know that they can wander while driving them in. I like your method better than just saying a few bad words and starting over.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I should have also pointed out the main idea behind it - the jig (if that's the right term for it) prevents the T handle from wandering in any direction but still allows twisting and downward travel. It probably wouldn't work too well with a screwdriver without some modifications (probably cut a slot somehow for the head to slide through to the lower cavity if you know what I mean). I'll try to remember to post pics later tonight.

does anybodu have any idea where i might be able to get these in the UK?? id seriouslly like to be able to put them in my first project but since im on a tight budget i dont wanna have ot pay shipping costs lol