Working with spalted maple?

It wouldn't hurt to seal it first (at least around the edges), especially if you're going to use a router to clean up the edge after bandsawing.

In my case, I glued a spalted top onto a body that was already shaped. I trued it up with a drum sander, sealed the edge, then hit it with a 1/4" roundover bit. Then I sealed the whole thing to sand it level (many seal-sand cycles).

When level sanding, resist the urge to sand it first before sealing. All you will do is magnify the topography between the hard and soft parts of the spalt; I learned this the hard way.

• 1 year later...

Hey, I'm in the process of bidding on a piece of spalt... is it a really bad idea to assume that I can use it as a top for a semi-hollow guitar??? (like my MeuX E-series in the Progress zone). As in, will this top just cave in with the hollow below it? Especially with f-holes?!

Also, if I'm going to be using a router and template to shape it... should I go

1) Cut close to template

2) Seal with Devcon 2 part 30 minute 2-ton epoxy

3) Route to shape

4) Seal again like above

???? Is that right?

Thanks,

Chris

Hey, I'm in the process of bidding on a piece of spalt... is it a really bad idea to assume that I can use it as a top for a semi-hollow guitar??? (like my MeuX E-series in the Progress zone). As in, will this top just cave in with the hollow below it? Especially with f-holes?!

Also, if I'm going to be using a router and template to shape it... should I go

1) Cut close to template

2) Seal with Devcon 2 part 30 minute 2-ton epoxy

3) Route to shape

4) Seal again like above

???? Is that right?

Thanks,

Chris

Kinda depends on the piece, I'd guess, and I wouldn't try carving the inside of the top out at all. You may want to consider some bracing, or chambering leaving more support struts, and evaluating the piece once you get it.

Here's an idea, thickness (with a thickness sander not a planer to ensure fibers don't get ripped out!) my spalt from it's current 1/4" to like 1/8". Then, buy another board but of purpleheart (that's some pretty hard stuff if I remember correctly) of 1/8" thick and laminate those two TOGETHER for my top, the spalt on the top to look pretty, and the purpleheart undernieth it to provide structure for above the semi-hollow's cavities and around the f-holes.

What ya'll think?

Chris