Number 3!

This is hopefully going to be a tactile mellow sounding thing to pluck on the sofa. It’s an old piece of flamed mahogany which is going to be chopped up to make a book matched front, back and headstock piece. I’ve got a pillar drill, a router and a few basic hand tools and will be doing most of it on the kitchen table whilst the Mrs isn’t looking. 

Going to put my Bodging skills to the test and see if I can triumph over adversity and create something worth playing. I haven’t drawn anything up, I’m just going to see what the wood gives me! 

F7B07110-BD1D-425F-8DE1-95162D3F966D.jpeg

Edited by Danstinyexplorer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pointer28 said:

Jesus, that's a special kind of torture.

It was horrible!

The piece was 25mm thick. I needed two pieces at roughly 10mm each. My head told me that by the time I’d got through it (bearing in mind my saw is about 2” longer than the timber) I’d have lost about 4 or 5mm through saw wander. As it transpired that’s just about how it ended up so happy days!

My bridge, pickup ring,  knobs, trussrod cover and control cover all landed this afternoon in the form of a fabulously busty fairly old ebony lady that came via eBay. After looking at the price of ebony in timber form it struck me that this is the best way for me to buy. Well seasoned, cheap, kinder on the forest and there’s a good chance its sale benefited a local person at its point of origin instead of a cruel logging company......that’s what I’d like to think anyway! Either way it’s 4lbs of rock hard ebony so I’m happy.

72E5FD73-327B-4457-91D1-0508F1D9466A.jpeg

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

She’s one big piece cut down the middle, flipped over and stick back together. I made a spine out of some kind of rosewood and some Victorian teak as it’s not the hardest lump of mahogany in the world. It did spend 80 years drying out above a fireplace though so it rings nicely. It’s heavily hollowed out so is getting fairly lightweight now. 
I think it will be a bit of a challenge getting everything perfectly true and flat with the tools I have but who doesn’t love an uphil struggle eh?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Danstinyexplorer said:

The piece I was slicing up last year is the top and headstock veneer. That part is languishing under a load of dust in the attic. Hoping to get that cleaned up and stuck on in the next week or two

Was that ghe pidce you did the hand-cut bookmatch with?  Amazing job.

All looking good so far :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...