Truss rod and set neck question

Just finished my guitar, possibly putting it in to next months contest, thanks for the help everyone! 

Now on the way with another build (for my nephew) and it has the spoke wheel adjustment at the heel end...quite a long truss rod, right up to around the first fret. I have a question, is it viable to make this a set neck, can you invisage any problems? I’m asking this because I haven’t seen any set necks with this kind of truss rod setup. Are there any reasons for this or is it just tradition? I would prefer a set neck because I find them somewhat more elegant? Subjective I know. Thanks for any help, 

I did a set neck on my sweet spot blue and it was spoke wheel - adjust thru the 19th fret.  Honestly I don't see any reason a set neck would be a problem.  Like anything else you just have to plan ahead in terms of how it's going to interface with the (potential) top of the guitar... but it's no dif than anything else I spose.

afa gotm... cool and congrats!

• Like 1

Isn't a bolt on just a poor man's set neck? Both require a snug fit and a secure joint for the neck. Tone wise they're equal if they're well built.

Bolt on necks were invented for cheap mass production. They're fast to attach with no curing or clamping needed. They also allow for the necks and bodies being individually finished before joining. The parts can even be made in different places which was a huge advantage in the pre-CNC era.

A traditional mortise and tenon type neck joint such as the LP and acoustic guitars has to be fitted before painting or lacquering and making the heel follow the radius of the body can be tricky. Cheaper guitars most likely have some sort of putty in the seam, covered by a thick layer of dark paint...

• Like 1