Lookin for woods

Does anyone know where to find Ovangkol?

None of the sites in the supply section list it. I've found a couple of places that sell back/side sets for ovangkol, but i need thick enough to make a body out of.

Thanks

and also, since im new here, could someone explain IMO/IMHO...haha :D

Mitch

well if you are looking to build a bass out of this i might recommend bubinga? that is readily available in the u.s check out ebay for it. or your local hardwood supplier. we have virtually no hardwood suppliers here in CT but i'm sure Bubinga is readily available. call around. You'll find some. i dont know about ovangkol

Thanks guito. I'll see if I can check them out.

Yeah, Snork, theres a woods store about 2 blocks from where i work that has loads of bubinga for a really good price. I would be plenty willing to substitute ovangkol for bubinga, except kirk (hes the K in MKG) has his heart set on making his bass from ovangkol.

This is also called Shedua. If you haven't worked with it ....you are in for a treat! It is one of my favorite woods. It is an African wood which is quickly gaining favor with luthiers. Check with Gilmer or Eisenbrand or Righteous Woods in Mass...they all usually have figured stock on hand....Try Gilmer first....I have a personal stash of figured 8/4...exactly, what are you looking for? I might be able to point you in the right direction. I may have some figured 4/4 that I may be convinced to part with....if you would want to do a laminated body.

Yeah, Litchfield, Warwick is what turned us onto Ovangkol (shedua?). I've played a couple of the Thumb series (the 6 neck thru) that has an ovangkol body, and it was gorgeously perfect.

I'll check up on those woods stores tdog, thanks a bunch. Oh, and I'd be looking for anything between 6/4 and 8/4.