Black walnut for necks and bodies

MzI

I have a large stockpile of black walnut that i have free reign of, my thinkin was i have a slab of mahogany for the back, and i was thinkin of mayb doin a walnut top with walnut for a neck thru with a rosewood finger board, i checked out warmoth to see what they had to say about walnut and it said it was inbetween walnut and mahogany hardness wise and similar to maple tone wise,

ne one have ne thoughts or comments bout black walnut or this setup

MzI

heres what they said bout walnut for necks: Walnut (Juglans nigra)

Walnut is the only North American dark wood. It is somewhat softer than maple though stiffer than mahogany. Looks and sounds good when combined with ebony fingerboards. This wood must be hard finished.

Used for necks only

for bodies heres wut they had to say: Walnut (Juglans nigra): Walnut is a heavy weight wood, but not quite as heavy as hard maple. It has a similar sound to hard maple but it tends not to be as bright. Walnut is very beautiful with open grain. Oil finishes work great on Walnut.

MzI

Hi MzI,

I am starting a project using Black Walnut. I have a slab of wood 13/16" thick, and some people who will slice it for it. I plan to make a Tele and Strat, maybe more, from it. I will be mating the walnut to an ash underbody. I think that it is very nice looking wood for a guitar top.

As for a neck, I have no idea one way or the other.

Guitar Ed

Advice worth what paid for it. Nothing.

daveq,

i think they were meaning that they use it for the necks and not the fretboads cuz i got that description from the neck description area

im prolly not gonna start the project til summer because im at school away from home so ill prolly do sum more research and see what my dad has to say about the structural advantages of puttin it quartersawn or regular

MzI