Rick 12 Sting Build

Woltz

Some pretty wiring indeed!

The only thing showing you're a mere mortal alike the rest of us is the red wire to the jack staying straight instead of evenly swirling with the black.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/17/2020 at 5:03 PM, Bizman62 said:

Some pretty wiring indeed!

The only thing showing you're a mere mortal alike the rest of us is the red wire to the jack staying straight instead of evenly swirling with the black.

I didn't even notice that haha. 

So I've been a little quiet as I've been quite busy and no work has happened on the Rick build.  But my maple has arrived and I have a piece of Australin timber called Wadjil which I'll use for the fretboard if I have enough thickness left after I take the twist out of it.  My next step is to make a template of the headstock and do a mock up to check that the tuners all fit together.  Hopefully I'll get to that and making the rest of the working templates in a few weeks.  I also need to finish the new saddles for the bridge and make the tailpiece parts now that I've tweaked the design.

Here is a glimpse of some of the other projects on the go.  A couple of pedals built using Aion Electronics boards.  Here they are wired up to test.

DjfgFTS.jpg

YcsRFwC.jpg

I've also done a couple of things on my strat build.  I'll start another thread for that.

And here is a piece of timber that I have drying in my shed that I'm trying to work out what I'm going to use it for.  We call it Silky Oak here but most people know it as lacewood.  I've always wanted a PRS Style guitar so maybe it could be the top for a PRS Style build.  It's a bit over 2 inches thick so I can split it and have roughly a 1 inch bookmatched cap to work with.  I have enough if it to probably make a couple of solid bodies and an acoustic.

f5HVOoc.jpg

Sweet! Im a pedal builder too, til now have only done the veroboard stuff from tagboardfx. What is your first pedal there?

EDIT: nevermind I saw the label. Super interesting pedal. I just built a clone of a Throback Strangemaster, and it’s 10x cooler than I thought it would be.

I'm a little disappointed at the shortcuts you've taken ... I mean, you didn't even smelt the metal yourself.

Obviously that's sarcasm born from the awe I'm in from the various skills showcased in this thread.

Seriously though, did you smelt the metals?

• Haha 2

On 5/20/2020 at 1:11 AM, JayT said:

I'm a little disappointed at the shortcuts you've taken ... I mean, you didn't even smelt the metal yourself.

Obviously that's sarcasm born from the awe I'm in from the various skills showcased in this thread.

Seriously though, did you smelt the metals?

🤣 I just bought a sheet of aluminium and made it from that.

However, the woodwork club that I am a part of actually has a forge so maybe for my next project I can learn to smelt the metal as well haha.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a busy few weeks but now that I will have some free time again, it's time to get back into it.

Decided today was a good day to mock up the headstock using MDF to see if the tuners I purchased fit.

5YrLXqj.jpg

H1XlQIx.jpg

jzIr7hN.jpg

Vit6bp7.jpg

eTTbLDi.jpg

It's tight but there doesn't appear to be any tuners the collide with each other.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Woltz said:

Haha hadn't you heard that the resin in the MDF is the secret ingredient for tonewood? Lol

mdf is made exclusively from tonewood... they grind up maple, bubinga, snakewood, and magic beans (in the correct proportions of course) and bond them together with the tears of luthiers.  Once it's finalized it is blessed by the pope.  That's how they seal the tone in.  hehe, that said I'm a big fan of danelectro so I should probably stop laughing!

• Haha 1

In all my years of guitar worship, I’ve never been versed in the cult of Rickenbacker, nor have seen the witchcraft that is that headstock. It’s a tuner orgy. Amazing. Fun build!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been slowly ticking along with things when I get a chance.

Got the neck blank jointed and glued up.  

cYcL3By.jpg

All cleaned up.

G3rQ4UK.jpg?1

Cleaned up the pieces for the body blank.

MmqnGER.jpg

Joint looks pretty good, I'll glue it up in the next few days and then I can cut it out the rough shape.

IDbYl7L.jpg

yrXS8HW.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

For everyone following along, don't worry, I haven't forgotten about this project.  I've just had a few things competing for my time.  But I have glued up the body blanks and yesterday I did rough cut the body.

Jli9JzE.jpg

Next job is to finish up my working templates for it so I can check the fit of a few things and then do the routing.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This build has been just sitting in the background with nothing happening as my focus had been taken by a couple other projects which I want to get out of the way so that I can pay close attention to this one.  But I did cut out the pickguards today.

HHQkVAX.jpg

igiQ29Q.jpg

They aren't perfect but they'll do the job.