Three teles... Tuxedo is close...

5 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Just caught up with the video.  Sounds and looks great!

Some great skills on show with your other builds too.  

thank you sir, that means a lot.  looking fwd to my fav part today... putting on some color.  thank you for taking the time!

Just now, ADFinlayson said:

fantastic job on staining the quilt, you can really see the contrast between the whites and blacks. Mind sharing the stain/method you used? 

thanks for the reply AD.  don't mind if I do.  sanded to 220.  raised the grain and sanded again. mixed keda and some stew mac black (keda has a lot of blue in it) with water.  mixed the die a little lighter than I needed cause I have had better luck sneaking up on the darkness I need.  did about 3 coats, then took alcohol and drew out a ton of color.  switched to a new rag a couple times and kept drawing out black until my rag came up clean.  now I'm just using watco nitro clear.  probably do another few coats today and level it all out sat/sun.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

thanks for the reply AD.  don't mind if I do.  sanded to 220.  raised the grain and sanded again. mixed keda and some stew mac black (keda has a lot of blue in it) with water.  mixed the die a little lighter than I needed cause I have had better luck sneaking up on the darkness I need.  did about 3 coats, then took alcohol and drew out a ton of color.  switched to a new rag a couple times and kept drawing out black until my rag came up clean.  now I'm just using watco nitro clear.  probably do another few coats today and level it all out sat/sun.

So that's alcohol based stain you used and then drew it back out with alcohol? no sanding back. I like that! Did you let it dry before you started pulling colour out or start wiping it back right away? 

So that's alcohol based stain you used and then drew it back out with alcohol? no sanding back. I like that!

technically you can mix either with water or alcohol.  I mixed with water but drew back with alcohol.  water only because I'm told it will fade less with water, and alcohol only because I didn't want to warp anything.  nope, no sanding back whatsoever.

1 minute ago, mistermikev said:

technically you can mix either with water or alcohol.  I mixed with water but drew back with alcohol.  water only because I'm told it will fade less with water, and alcohol only because I didn't want to warp anything.  nope, no sanding back whatsoever.

Love it, I'm going to have to try that method on one of the current builds. I'm trying to avoid water all together if possible because bleeding into natural binding is usually a problem for me, and sanding is never much fun anyway.

Love it, I'm going to have to try that method on one of the current builds. I'm trying to avoid water all together if possible because bleeding into natural binding is usually a problem for me, and sanding is never much fun anyway.

well... admittedly my binding went sort of grey.  I don't think you can really avoid that because even tho the wood was sealed with ca glue(and a LOT of it) the dye went right up to it... and turned the binding darker.  I'm actually debating if I'm going to switch to a black pearloid pickguard because the white is way too bright now.  that said... I kind of like it.

if I had to do again I think I'd paint the binding channel white.

3 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

btw, nice to get some feedback because my wife poo poo'd it right off the bat! 

hehe, they doo that. I showed my other half my latest headstock inlay that I'd just cut out of lam abalone and she immediately pointed out a bit of unevenness. Still, nice to have someone working in Quality Control.

You probs didn't see because I edited the above post... Did you start wiping back right away or did you let the stain dry fully before you started pulling colour back? 

20 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

hehe, they doo that. I showed my other half my latest headstock inlay that I'd just cut out of lam abalone and she immediately pointed out a bit of unevenness. Still, nice to have someone working in Quality Control.

You probs didn't see because I edited the above post... Did you start wiping back right away or did you let the stain dry fully before you started pulling colour back? 

hehe, qc.  that's a nice way of looking at it.

afa dry... I let it dry fully. 

• Like 1

I've seen black velvet less velvety than that! Just waiting for you to get rid of the orange peel...

The apply-dry-wipe method of yours sure looks nicer than sanded back!

11 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

I've seen black velvet less velvety than that! Just waiting for you to get rid of the orange peel...

The apply-dry-wipe method of yours sure looks nicer than sanded back!

that's awful kind of you to say Bizman.  very kind of you to say.  I have some horror stories of sanding back on black.  the dust becomes new dye and even w/o moisture causes blur.  Just trying to avoid making that mistake... again!