Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

got a lot done today and can barely type at this point... got my neck machined for the tuxedo...   here's how I cut the neck pocket for the tuxedo... nice t

so officially starting up my next project... 3 teles.  Working on templates for now, and have setup my body blanks... but figured I'd kick the build thread off. so first up... "The Broadchaser". 

Posted Images

did my wireup for the tuxedo...

 

DSCN3884.thumb.JPG.76d39c7d1dfe93bf3d9a5ccb04f94ee0.JPG

etched some random pcbs for everything from a guitar mounted brian may treb boost to a haz lab bass pre to amz mini boost and ovation piezo preamp and even some labeled pickup panels...

 

DSCN3911.thumb.JPG.1d3cd1cb56fb832d7a8de438a61e7435.JPG

 

did my truss channel for the les flawes...DSCN3900.thumb.JPG.8e57305851ef7fc5f82c4f1e6b41ac60.JPG

did my fretboard truss access and glued her on using hot glue gun and blocks to get it center.  worked pretty good.  also got my frets on...DSCN3901.thumb.JPG.7fba808806a2fb95aeefc38b9d63d024.JPGshaped the neck for the les flawes

DSCN3912.thumb.JPG.4a004d1fa13f3bb9dd48181faab4336e.JPG

using the facets method loosely as I always do... just using 3 measurements to do 3 facets... and I come out with the profile matching w/o even trying...

DSCN3913.thumb.JPG.50ce22bff61b8dd8cc3ff7e86d41c4ea.JPGDSCN3914.thumb.JPG.bb2ec6750516a908dd678c210ca83b0f.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

so asked over at mylespaul as well but... this is the best I can figure to get a clamp pulling my neck into the body.  see the block there that is clamped to the neck... then the long clamp across.  obviously clamping before you finish that area might be a nice trick but I figured it's hard to finish once it's on.  thoughts?

DSCN3915.thumb.JPG.0fe5f80cfb0f5002b3e2ce0f22f3cca5.JPG

 

DSCN3916.thumb.JPG.e221137d0043f688d1e0cddeeb18b0d5.JPGcka

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mistermikev said:

obviously clamping before you finish that area might be a nice trick but I figured it's hard to finish once it's on.  thoughts?

Either way there's problems to solve.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, willliam_q said:

I just thought position the neck and clamp at the top

If the fitting is snug that should work. One option is to drill a hole from the neck pickup cavity into the neck cavity and use a large washer and a screw to pull the neck to the bottom of the cavity. Many ways to skin a cat...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Either way there's problems to solve.

always.  The folks over at mylespaul convinced me not to because there was a consensus that it wasn't needed... but also the point was made that the clamps might fight each other and the most important pressure needed to be downward...

 

1 hour ago, willliam_q said:

I’ve never done a glue on neck before but now that I’ve seen this I know what needs to be considered.  I had never thought of that.  I just thought position the neck and clamp at the top

I am rarely the person who you should follow!  haha!

 

other good ideas were to use a rubber tube to go up over the headstock and all.  it's all good and I imagine it wouldn't hurt to use some sort of pressure that way but I found it easy enough to get my neck down in the pocket.  I scored the sides to create glue channels and had left the inside pocket edges short for glue escape route... that actually made the neck go in pretty easy despite tight fit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Norris said:

Just for a second I thought you'd painted stripes. That would be a heck of a look 

hehe... just tape!  than again stripes might make it go faster... hmmm!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2020 at 4:17 PM, mistermikev said:

obviously clamping before you finish that area might be a nice trick but I figured it's hard to finish once it's on.  thoughts?

I finish all of mine with the neck attached. For me the biggest thing is not banging the headstock into something as you're moving it around trying to find the best angle to get at the area you're working on.

SR

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, ScottR said:

I finish all of mine with the neck attached. For me the biggest thing is not banging the headstock into something as you're moving it around trying to find the best angle to get at the area you're working on.

SR

i hear ya... why is it that I always manage to scrape or ding a guitar AFTER sanding everything.  hence the tape... but I know in my soul it's just a matter of time!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

i hear ya... why is it that I always manage to scrape or ding a guitar AFTER sanding everything.  hence the tape... but I know in my soul it's just a matter of time!

Yep.

I think it's a right of passage....which I must be doing right, because I keep doing it again.

SR

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Haw!

I meant to say - which I must NOT be doing right  ......

I think I see the problem.

SR

I'm not good with words... or numbers... speaking... bathing... these things are all complicated to me.  I'm a simple man.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Dammmmit boy!

That is flippin gorgeous. And a tele bridge plus a P-90 neck pickup....It don't get any better than that. I expect the sound to be amazing but the video icon is still spinning.....so I just don't know..

Maybe tomorrow. If you are still awake...

Cheers and brilliant!

And now I can here it,,,

That is pretty much my favorite pickup combination. What brand are they?3SR

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ScottR said:

Dammmmit boy!

That is flippin gorgeous. And a tele bridge plus a P-90 neck pickup....It don't get any better than that. I expect the sound to be amazing but the video icon is still spinning.....so I just don't know..

Maybe tomorrow. If you are still awake...

Cheers and brilliant!

And now I can here it,,,

That is pretty much my favorite pickup combination. What brand are they?3SR

for some reason my response disappeared... perhaps I hadn't posted it thoroughly... in case it ends up here twice: I'm be short...

Thank you ScottR - that means a lot to me and you've been a great help on many builds so... you get 3% of my cudos right off the top. 

P90 - I have them in another guitar... but I abso love this setup.  Should have tried it sooner.  You'll hear it in the video but the bridge is seymour vintage strack and the p90 is bootstrap squeaky clean.  There will be many more P90s in my future.  With the hollow body contributing a little bit... it reminds me a lot of a 335 but not quite as huge sounding.  It is a nice pair.  Love to hear your thoughts on the video... it was up for me when I clicked on it.

here's the link just in case: demo

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

for some reason my response disappeared... perhaps I hadn't posted it thoroughly... in case it ends up here twice: I'm be short...

Thank you ScottR - that means a lot to me and you've been a great help on many builds so... you get 3% of my cudos right off the top. 

P90 - I have them in another guitar... but I abso love this setup.  Should have tried it sooner.  You'll hear it in the video but the bridge is seymour vintage strack and the p90 is bootstrap squeaky clean.  There will be many more P90s in my future.  With the hollow body contributing a little bit... it reminds me a lot of a 335 but not quite as huge sounding.  It is a nice pair.  Love to hear your thoughts on the video... it was up for me when I clicked on it.

here's the link just in case: demo

The video gelled while I was posting in my build.

It's killer! I wish I could play like that. The Tux looks amazing too.

You need to try my P-90 strat middle  P-90 combination, You'll love it!

SR

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ScottR said:

The video gelled while I was posting in my build.

It's killer! I wish I could play like that. The Tux looks amazing too.

You need to try my P-90 strat middle  P-90 combination, You'll love it!

SR

right on.  I bet that sounds great.  In this case the seymour doesn't quite hum cancel perfect with the p90... i guess the p90 is just such a big footprint.  Could be improved there but they sound great together. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...