Three teles... Tuxedo is close...

28 minutes ago, willliam_q said:

What technique did you use to get the checking? 

all of them!  hehe. 

to be honest I'm not sure what worked for me but I'll try to tell you as best I can what I did. 

I put it in the fridge for 24hrs... then I pulled it out and used my heat gun on the lowest setting.  seemed like the hair dryer wasn't hot enough... and the heat gun would bubble the paint if turned up any higher... so I kept it moving pretty good but tried to warm up one area at a time. 

tried this a few times and still wasn't seeing much.  in rhetrospect the cracks were only visable from the right angle so they may have started earlier than I saw them. 

each time I'd pull it out of the freezer and warm it up... then I'd let it sit for an hour... then warm it with the heat gun and get the surface temp such that I could feel it was warm... then blast the shizzle out of it with the air can turned upside down. 

I've seen folks do this before and get big checks... and I was thinking I'd love to have lots of little checks everywhere but figured I'd see how far I got once I started getting a few big checks.  big checks never happened... just started seeing light small checks... so then I took rit dye (moca) and wiped it all down... let it sit for until it just started getting dry then cleaned it with min spirits. 

I only had checks in one area (behind the bridge) so I put it back in the freezer and waited 24hrs again.  pulled it out, did the heat gun, then did can of air + heat gun, then another round of dye.  I could see I got a number of new areas.  from there I started to target the lighter areas and the sides.  few more rounds and I was pretty satisfied. 

you can't really see the checks from a ways away... but up close it looks great to me.  the headstock has even smaller checks that wouldn't take dye.  to be honest I would have liked a little more but my decal started to soak up the dye so I stopped there.

have a lot to learn but pretty satisfied overall and the body turned out better than I had even hoped.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ScottR said:

That's really well done, Mike.

It's a whole bunch of sweeeeeeeet with a bit of awesome sprinkled on top.

SR

thank you thank you thank you scott.  on the one hand "it's just a tele" on the other "it's MY tele"!  thank you for the response and support as always!

Just now, ScottR said:

It's not your tele.......it's your Broadchaser!

Love the name, btw.

SR

hehe, I'm glad you said that because lately I've been wondering if I'm a jerk for naming it that... I mean... I'm a jerk no doubt... but am I jerk for naming it that!  so cramped in this head of mine!

8 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

hehe, I'm glad you said that because lately I've been wondering if I'm a jerk for naming it that... I mean... I'm a jerk no doubt... but am I jerk for naming it that!  so cramped in this head of mine!

Aw, humor is the lubricant of life.

:D:blink::D

I could write paragraphs expounding on that.....with many metaphors and multiple entendres....but maybe I'll just not.

SR

1 minute ago, ScottR said:

Aw, humor is the lubricant of life.

:D:blink::D

I could write paragraphs expounding on that.....with many metaphors and multiple entendres....but maybe I'll just not.

SR

hehe... he said lubricant of life.  side note I did some research on the origins of ladies being referred to as 'broads'.  ranged from hardly offensive to incredibly offensive... on the less offensive side it was suggested it might have something to do with the term 'abroadwife' which was a term used to describe slave wifes.  (yes, that's the less offensive side). 

19 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

I'm just getting greener...

Nice job as always! Time to not enter the GOTM...

secretly crossing my fingers that you won't as I'm pretty sure I wouldn't stand a chance.  Your latest is outstanding.  Honestly don't know how I have ever won with the amaz-balls guitars that folks around here post.  I'm  not worthy.

28 minutes ago, mattharris75 said:

Very nice, I dig the vintage vibe!

The video is cool too, always neat to hear how builds turn out. And a nice studio setup, BTW!

thank you sir.  I very much appreciate the response.  might have to hang a little leather pouch with some chicken bones for extra mojo to get the tone a little more swampy... but I'm working on it (hehe). 

thank you on the video... and the studio.  I'm very lucky my wife let me have a room... but it's getting a bit cramped!

22 minutes ago, ShatnersBassoon said:

This is such a gorgeous guitar Mike and it sounds so beautiful! A lovely take on an old design with some interesting tonal options!

thank you very much for saying so mr bassoon.  what you describe is exactly what I was going for vintage/modern and it makes me happy to know that's coming across.  very much appreciate the feedback!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mr Natural said:

it will probably be a bit- dealing with some more pressing  life issues at the moment unfortunately. 

well, I'm sorry to hear that brother.  I won't pry, but just to say - if you need an ear.  Hoping better days for you and looking fwd to your next build!

So... back b4 finishing the broadchaser I had realized I bought a 24.75sl fretboard instead of a 25.5 (for the tuxedo).  well I got this far on it before I realized...

DSCN3825.thumb.JPG.df7a150acaa7605b3d785c66cf447c47.JPG

DSCN3830.thumb.JPG.3550a5ca311df59cfb1a5d68db845985.JPG

DSCN3837.thumb.JPG.bb1d1effcb39b07812a78196ad6cbe0d.JPG

did a gold mop logo for the les flawes and white mop for the tuxedo...

DSCN3841.thumb.JPG.ace04c7c0aa6ac895dae6095ec8e6e76.JPG

test mounting my neck for the les flawes

DSCN3845.thumb.JPG.dfa7e6bd0c10265fd85deae6ca719fa9.JPG

DSCN3848.thumb.JPG.fde7be0ac67286e0a83e5a7670223aca.JPG

Just a hair of a gap at the outter edge of the corners on the back edges here - the side joints are solid right up to the last 3/16 and I think I'm going to be removing most of that with rounding up that area... so pretty satisfied with the join. 571.88 kB · 0 downloads DSCN3847.thumb.JPG.9f3db9720f93ccba8d62316aae4057f1.JPGDSCN3846.thumb.JPG.bd4c7eaa89a2462a1f2de6683b0e93da.JPG

made a fun video about the neck join...

mock up w the fretboard

DSCN3850.thumb.JPG.f32f12bed7074b5b71b9e89d833c11f2.JPG

did you spot it yet?  (below)

DSCN3855.thumb.JPG.10247ad8403810c536f674906a13e58e.JPG

DSCN3857.thumb.JPG.ba5d2513d1de4fd0847bd66a30b8f7e5.JPG