Neck Blank Suppliers (thick enough for tilt-back)

Lespaul521

Does anyone know a good supplier for neck blanks that are at least 3” thick? I see so many 1” or 1.5” blanks online but rarely anything thicker.

I know I could do a scarf joint, but I’m planning on starting a small custom guitar business on the side and will be using a cnc. Therefore, I’d rather just have a big enough stock.

Thanks!

I imagine it's unlikely due to the fact that very few guitars would require it.  you should be able to get two les paul necks out of a 3" piece. 

why not buy two 1.5" neck blanks and do a glue up?

afa recommendations:

www.etsy.com/shop/ELwoodMusicWoods  has some beauty honduran mahog right now... they are helpful and would likely cut you the exact stock you need.  Shoot them a msg.

woodtoworks seems to have a lot of good reasonable blanks... maybe shoot them a holler.  also guitarwoodexperts... the gentleman over there is super nice.

1 hour ago, mistermikev said:

why not buy two 1.5" neck blanks and do a glue up?

That.

I know a luthier serious level hobbyist who does all his necks by gluing two blanks with a thin veneer in between as a permanent centerline. Laminated necks are far more durable especially in the neck break area than one piece necks. There's myths about tonal qualities in one piece necks but they can be taken with a pinch of salt. For me, "one piece" is a synonym for "irresponsible wood sourcing", felling the largest tree in the forest to get a certain three foot block at the stem and letting the rest to rot.

multilam sure does add stability... but imo a 1 piece just looks so much nicer... but it takes all kinds I spose.  not opposed to either myself. 

did want to mention to op( @Lespaul521) ... you may check your local lumber suppliers too.  I have a bunch of 3" x 7" mahog that I got at $3/board ft.  It's not nearly as pretty as some mentioned above... but it's pretty 'nuff fer the likes of me!

11 hours ago, mistermikev said:

a 1 piece just looks so much nicer

Hmm... Today our Master was working on a guitar with a three piece neck. You could only see that at the bottom of the headstock! It was some pale wood with a strong, straight(ish), tight grain pattern, maybe ash.

2 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Hmm... Today our Master was working on a guitar with a three piece neck. You could only see that at the bottom of the headstock! It was some pale wood with a strong, straight(ish), tight grain pattern, maybe ash.

guess it sort of depends on the build.  lots of basses wouldn't look right w 1 piece... but imo a les paul doesn't look right with more than one.  it's all good...

1 hour ago, ADFinlayson said:

The thing I like most about a 1-peice neck, other than looks as you say, it's a lot less work :D 

tru dat.  sure is!

46 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

guess it sort of depends on the build

as well as on the eye of the beholder. Personally, I tend to like stripes although I can appreciate the skill needed to hide any seams in a one piece neck including the fretboard and truss rod cavity. Then again, the last time I saw the maple fretboard having been cut of the neck itself the thin dark veneer in the seam really made it look better. Sometimes a minor break in continuity just does the trick. Thus, hiding a cut that has been made for applying things like a truss rod is worth adoring but making that cut an interesting feature can be even more admirable.