NEW SEL guitar build, let's go!

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Dantahoua said:

I really like it, it's a pleasure to play it! 

It's also a pleasure to just look at the pictures, and it would be a pleasure to see it hanging on my wall.

• Like 1

Lovely build! I'm wondering how yellow Birch varies in working characteristics to the Silver and Downy Birch that is most common over this side of the fence in the great white North. Do the trees grow large and straight? That's always been the main issue I've found with domestically-sourced Birch....that looks like it came from some good wide stock though.

Your Pau Ferro/Morado board reminded me that I need to cut up the slightly warped fingerboard I have here to make some pickup rings on a project. Thanks for the reminder 😉

On 2/3/2020 at 6:24 PM, Dantahoua said:

Can't decide for the fretboard yet... Marble wood, birdseye roasted maple, morado or indian rosewood... As the guitar binding would be made of black walnut, I'll probably go for the maple and add binding to the fretboard! :) 

IMG_20200202_110024.jpg

On 6/12/2020 at 11:08 AM, Prostheta said:

Lovely build! I'm wondering how yellow Birch varies in working characteristics to the Silver and Downy Birch that is most common over this side of the fence in the great white North. Do the trees grow large and straight? That's always been the main issue I've found with domestically-sourced Birch....that looks like it came from some good wide stock though.

Your Pau Ferro/Morado board reminded me that I need to cut up the slightly warped fingerboard I have here to make some pickup rings on a project. Thanks for the reminder 😉

Some yellow birch I saw in the wood are very large and straight! But I'm not an expert for those tree. Honnestly, apart from the smell, sometime you cannot say the difference with maple! Same texture, same grain, same color as plain maple...

53 minutes ago, Dantahoua said:

Some yellow birch I saw in the wood are very large and straight! But I'm not an expert for those tree. Honnestly, apart from the smell, sometime you cannot say the difference with maple! Same texture, same grain, same color as plain maple...

Yep, same opinion for the most part about the Birch we have here. Unless they're very old and growing in a clear Birch-only forest without issues impacting growth (flood, uneven ground, wind, land disturbances, etc.) it tends to be a bit so-so here. Birch easily gathers compression in the grain (lyly in Finnish) so it warps when cut, especially when growing on inclined land. I've never been happy with Birch in comparison to Maple, however yours coming from large and straight trees makes all the difference. Birch sounds fantastic in drum shells with a naturally balanced tonality, so hearing it in an archtop would be great!