My take on Mr. Gilmour's Strat

Hello all...

I finished my first "build" about two months ago and just got around to posting. I have been a lurker for a long time.

It is an MJT body I inherited. It had a burnt-orange, cracked finish in it. I stripped it down, repainted and flipped all of the electronics. I know...it has a rosewood fretboard, not maple. It's what I got my hands on.

Used stew mac nitro.

It was my very first shot out of the gate. Already planning the second one.

Thanks for your critique, feedback, etc.

gilmourguitar.jpeg

• Like 1

Thank you very much! That is huge compliment.

Indeed, it is my first go at this. I have lurked, read, watched..and then tried it myself.

In the picture the upper part of the body looks dull, but it’s not. There are some fine scratches on the lower bout too. I must have made a mistake during the wet sand. Thanks again.

It looks factory finished. Maybe I will go with the Stewmac nitro after all...I was leaning towards shellac over acrylic paint but now not so sure. Was the curing time reasonable? I've flawed everything I've ever painted because I can't resist touching the project too soon

Thanks all for the comments. Much appreciated. Actually...VERY appreciated.

At this time I have no plans to actually make a body and neck. That is way above my skill level. What I have done is purchase another Mexican strat to refinish.

I am generally an impatient guy but I really took my time with this and did my best to adhere to all that I learned from research. Also, this was a key article for me:

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/25496-diy-how-to-refinish-your-axe

I purchased everything from Stew Mac, except for the electronics and bridge. Going back to the pictures, looks like I started in Mid June and was done About five weeks after.

I let it cure for at least two weeks. I was afraid of the summer humidity--I did it in my garage and live in Eastern NY--but it was no problem.

I did a rough sand on the first two coats of clear and then just kept spraying. I also did several rough sands on the paint before I sprayed the clear--at least three cans of the Nitro lacquer and the paint is the Stew Mac nitro black. 

I "matched" the pickups in the Gilmour--although not the high-end, hand-wound bridge. It sounds and plays great.

As I said, there are some weird hairline scratches in the finish you can't see. It is not a crack int he finish, but light, as if a guitar pick did it. But it is not the pick. I must have done something wrong during the wet sand.

Here are a few other pics. Hope the link works.

Thanks again!

https://tinyurl.com/t68ed97