LED inlays

Curtis P

I decided for this guitar (RR5) i will do the shark fin inlays, but i was thinkin it would look super sweet to have them light up, with the flick of a switch, which is hidden on the back of the neck (very bottom just before where it bolts on) so your hand doesnt hit it, i think it would look super cool, but then again, i would have to put the batteries somewhere and do lots of wiring through the neck to make it like that, so, should i give 'er heck and go LED inlays, or not?

Curtis

Routing in the neck can be done but I prefer to rout into the fretboard. It makes it a lot easier when you go to attach it to the neck since everything goes on as one unit. Doing LED inlays is not a simple task - I hope you are up for the effort, time involved. You are going to back-light the inlays, right? Are the LED's going to point up, sideways, ... ? How are you going to mount them - directly to the shark fin inlay? What size LED's are you planning on using?

hmm, i dunno, kinda on a tight budget, i will let you know how it turns out, might just go with toggle switch and route the underside of fretboard, then have it runnin through the body, since i wont stain it, and it still needs to be planned and sanded to thickness, you wont see the peice of wood i will stick over the channel and glue down :D

Thanks alot

Curtis

I'm a little confused - the link you posted is for electroluminescent wires, exactly like GloWire. It requires a high voltage audio frequency oscillator to make it glow. If you put any kind of audio frequency oscillator inside a guitar with magnetic pickups, it should at best raise the noise floor to an unacceptable level. Have you tried this? I know it works great on modding computer boxes, but have you ever had this stuff anywhere near your guitar? If you've got one set up, just play your guitar several inches from it, and see what happens. I could be wrong, and if so I'll apologize for doubting you, but I'm afraid it'll cause the same kind of hash/noise you get from playing close to a switching power supply. I'll be interested to hear your results. And FWIW, shielding only protects from EMI sources outside the shield. Let us know how it works.

And FWIW, shielding only protects from EMI sources outside the shield.

Oh boy, who's using the glowwire? The above is true concerning shielding and on top of that, a typical shielded pair of wires only takes so much noise away - it doesn't eliminate it. I hope this is just in the planning stages for whoever is considering doing this. Certainly worth trying an experiment before going too far with the real thing.