Lumberjack’s first build on Project Guitar

Hey PG, I’ve been building off and on for about 12 years or so at a very “side-hobby” level and this will be my first foray here on the forum. It’s going to be a straight forward 2-humbucker guitar with 24 frets, pointy horns, and lots of flame maple. Here and the specs, pics of my starting lumber, and the progress so far over the last few days:

Specs:

- 25.5” scale, 12” radius, set neck

- 24 stainless steel frets, slight partial scallop in upper frets, MOP dot inlays

- Reverse headstock with maple cap to match body

- Hipshot locking tuners, Gotoh tune-o-matic bridge, string-through-body ferrules

- Volume, tone, 3-way toggle, individual coil splitting switches for each pickup

- Bareknuckle Holy Diver humbuckers

- Blue/teal stained top, natural “binding” a la PRS, natural back with neck stained to match, satin lacquer over everything

8Kc3kQ1.jpg
African sapele with a wavy ribbon

S7dm8XK.jpgBig leaf curly maple top

IuOzvsS.jpg
Eastern curly maple and ebony 5-piece neck, pau ferro fingerboard

cqDzp4J.jpg
Scarf cut, maple cap glued to headstock face, fingerboard cut, slotted, and roughly radiused  

U0qawAZ.jpgTop glued, body roughly sawed out.

6kOTIxx.jpg

Scarf glued, truss rod routed and installed, headstock roughly cut and drilled, fingerboard glued on and a last minute decision to rip some binding from the curly maple top and use it to bind the fingerboard. 

Cheers!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mistermikev said:

holy crap... excuse me while I recover from that flamed maple... SOURCE PLEASE!  Like what you are doing there with the binding too... that all is going to tie together nicely.  Vcool.  Look fwd to watching your build.

Thanks for the warm welcome fellas!  This particular maple top is from Kimball Hardwood's eBay store.  They're a relative new-comer it seems, and frankly I have no idea how they're selling their tops as cheaply as they do - I got this bookmatched 0.32" thick top for $40.  

I don't know if that seems like as crazy a deal to you as it does to me, but they have dozens of listings like this up on eBay all the time.  Definitely wish they were around when I was getting started, 12 years ago I could have hardly gotten the faintest ripple in a quarter inch flame maple top for $40.  

11 minutes ago, Lumberjack said:

Thanks for the warm welcome fellas!  This particular maple top is from Kimball Hardwood's eBay store.  They're a relative new-comer it seems, and frankly I have no idea how they're selling their tops as cheaply as they do - I got this bookmatched 0.32" thick top for $40.  

I don't know if that seems like as crazy a deal to you as it does to me, but they have dozens of listings like this up on eBay all the time.  Definitely wish they were around when I was getting started, 12 years ago I could have hardly gotten the faintest ripple in a quarter inch flame maple top for $40.  

right on... I have drooled over many-a-ebay-listing from kimbal.  Haven't snagged anything as I've got similar deals elsewhere but one of these day's it's bound to happen.  They do seem to regularly get amazing stuff!  I def appreciate you sharing!  also... is that paul bunyan holding an axe in one hand and... well... an axe in the other hand?  cudos!

Another long day in the garage = another pic dump:

MJdZDk2.jpg
Frets filed flush. 

5J83abu.jpg
Hoggin’ out the neck profile. First time with a Japanese style rasp, these things really cut!

fZhO8mv.jpg
Another last minute style decision: cutting a diamond into the volute. 

ZHMqoYz.jpg
All shaped up.  I’m tempted to inlay something into that diamond, but I’m not sure what. We’ll see. 

Hh9BjqF.jpg
Headstock finally cut to form. 

juczru2.jpg
This random worm-hole (or whatever it is) showed up while carving, never seen anything like it in wood this hard. Wasn’t showing on either face of the maple, just appeared as I carved. 

xHRd904.jpg
Drilled and filled. Not happy with this, but it’s better than a hole I guess. 

fZ6am8h.jpg
Frets beveled and ends partly dressed, and partial scallop roughed in. 

MXr09Cp.jpg
This partial scallop is something I’m doing on a lot of my guitars these days. Mild depth, maybe 1mm or so, fading in gradually from about fret 7, reaching further across the fretboard closer to fret 12 but never all the way across, and receding away toward fret 24. First saw something like this done by Perry Ormsby around 10 years ago when he was still a one-man operation posting his builds on Ultimate Guitar.  Not sure if he was the first. 

DSbTo9R.jpg
Neck nearly ready for glue!

UNWOYQh.jpg
Cavities routed. 

nn0QxTH.jpg
This split appeared while routing, looks like my flush cut but is getting too dull; this will be its last cut. 

k3PYJWr.jpg
Bled some warm water into the crack before introducing glue to give the glue something to ”follow”, wicking deep into the crack. Works like a charm. 

• Like 1

Welcome! Clearly you've done this before. It's hard to believe that you are free handing those routes. I've used templates and got crappier results, lol. Super clean build with a couple of nice saves. Perry used to be in here also, but it's been awhile now.

On 12/31/2019 at 10:32 PM, Lumberjack said:

Frets cut and tangs ground off.  Stainless steel is a bear to work but I’ve become somewhat addicted to the feel for bends/vibrato, and have found cutting the frets and grinding the tangs to be easiest with a dremel metal cutting wheel with the fret locked in a vice.  Let me know if anyone’s got an easier way, I used to try nipping them but wore through tools pretty quickly that way.

I came to the same conclusion and cut mine the same way.

This is a very nice build and obviously the work of someone who's done enough to gain skills and style.

Welcome and thanks for sharing with us.

SR

About the wormhole, I believe I had the same worm a few times myself.. I believe that's the hole you drilled too deep for fingerboard locating pin. You had a nice save, it is not that noticeable any more. I screwed up a few necks trying to hide those holes, but fubared them and had to do complete new necks because of it

You have a great build going on, good luck to you finishing it up 

Inspiring! I love seeing this level of craftsmanship.

"They" really ought to have a TV show in the vein of "Chopped" or "Face Off" or "Forged in Fire" where builders have x amount of days and limited parts/materials to complete an electric guitar. Judging based on design, construction, finished, playability...guest judges could include the like of EVH and Brian May...OK I'm rambling/dreaming now...

Good stuff here, I'm mentally collecting ideas to steal borrow for future builds 

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! I can’t tell you how encouraging they are to hear coming from other builders. I’ve been going it alone for quite a while now, and it’s great to find such a welcoming community with similar interests. 

Komodo: to be fair I definitely use an aluminum block and a flush cut bit for the neck pocket, which is basically the same idea as a template. Seems to me the pickup routes and control cavity don’t have to be that exact since they’re covered up, at least not when I’m just building for myself anyways. 

Neven: I’m almost sure you must be right! Can’t think of what else it could be.  Such a simple thing to mess up, but since this is just for me I won’t mind leaving it as a reminder to myself to never drill those guide holes without depth checking first :P

More progress today: 

bPG9ahD.jpgEarly neck pocket fit test. 

O8iylmB.jpg
aZxOiqn.jpgContours marked. 

maUMmDu.jpgSaid it before but this is my first time using this Japanese style rasp and for $20 I can’t recommend it enough.  Outside of an angle grinder (which is what I should probably be using to hog out this amount of wood) I can’t think of a faster way to tear out shapes.  

DwKsSZN.jpg
pkR6oAp.jpg
AIuQpAL.jpgnZNSbjG.jpgContours cut.  My last build was very conservative as far as shape/contours goes, so I swung all the way in the other direction this time. 

RP9kco2.jpg
l93VCFC.jpgHeel carved to final shape and test fit. 

5XN33uP.jpg
IVoRj2E.jpgAFlVFJG.jpgLast three shots are of everything wet down to look for problem areas. This helps me catch stuff I might have missed: rasp marks hiding in the sawdust, dents from clamping, or the blotch of glue at the bookmatch seam near the bottom. 

Got about 1.5 days off from work still, hoping to get this ready for staining and the first few coats of lacquer by then. All that’s left is about ten million hours of sanding.... my favorite...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lumberjack said:

Contours cut.  My last build was very conservative as far as shape/contours goes, so I swung all the way in the other direction this time. 

I was already thinking you must have a strange looking belly to fit that carve! 😜

Very nice, I especially like the minor details like the diamond in the volute and the stripes to hide the seams in the neck, and the shape of the heel following the body. The perfect marriage of beauty and functionality!

To me it seems like using lacquer to keep stain off of certain areas works better than tape. And I suppose that masking the body for lacquering is much more forgiving, the lacquer most likely doesn't creep under the tape as easily as stain would. Good to bear in mind!

• Like 1

Amazing work, Love everything about this guitar...except you really messed up the---who am I kidding. It's freakin' perfect.

The knobs holes look way close to the edge...I was wondering how close I could get mine to the edge. Why did you choose to do that, it looks really cool that way. Not sure I've ever seen knobs place like that.

• Like 1