take a look at this wood... what is it?

Just now, ADFinlayson said:

sadly his response was "no" 😥

ah... your post had a thumbs up so... I thought THAT was the two letters.  again, I imagine he's like waiting for you to tell him you're gonna pay him with a money order then OOOPS my boss made it out for 2k, but just cash it and give me back 1555 and keep the difference... you know. 

I imagine shipping 8/4 10" x 4' would be pretty spensive?  probably well over the price of the wood no?

5 hours ago, mistermikev said:

ah... your post had a thumbs up so... I thought THAT was the two letters.  again, I imagine he's like waiting for you to tell him you're gonna pay him with a money order then OOOPS my boss made it out for 2k, but just cash it and give me back 1555 and keep the difference... you know. 

I imagine shipping 8/4 10" x 4' would be pretty spensive?  probably well over the price of the wood no?

My sarcasm was obviously lost over the internets.

Shipping American woods to UK is expensive unfortunately. 2 ziricote carve tops just set me back about £350 (not too bad as the last one was £250). I don’t even bother trying to get maple from USA. If I stuck to European maple and walnut, I could get 5 or 6 for that money, but I’ve got stacks of those. 

So if someone is selling a nice board that I could potentially get 2 tops out of for $45, it makes sense to spend another $80 on postage.

if you’re popping down to get some, I look forward to seeing how it turns out, it’s definitely interesting looking stuff 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

My sarcasm was obviously lost over the internets.

Shipping American woods to UK is expensive unfortunately. 2 ziricote carve tops just set me back about £350 (not too bad as the last one was £250). I don’t even bother trying to get maple from USA. If I stuck to European maple and walnut, I could get 5 or 6 for that money, but I’ve got stacks of those. 

So if someone is selling a nice board that I could potentially get 2 tops out of for $45, it makes sense to spend another $80 on postage.

if you’re popping down to get some, I look forward to seeing how it turns out, it’s definitely interesting looking stuff 

my sarcasm detectors might need new brushes.  right on, well I'll message him tomorrow night and see if it's worth the ride.  will let you know how that goes.

so couple questions: what are general dimensions? specifically thickness (8/4?) what is the widest slab you have (approx)?. hard recently was it cut and how hard is it? do you know anything more about the exact species because I'm confused by cottonwood/rosewood and trying to guage if this would work for my project. thanks

-----
Terry

You just need to come and look at the wood
----

was just trying to prevent the wasting of either of our time. I build guitars and not all woods will work for that. is this a tree you cut down on your property or something?

----
Terry

It’s cut down from another property The wood is soft and easy to work with but you can come by and see it
----
Edited by curtisa
Links to sellers facebook removed

My guess is he knows nothing about wood other than how to cut it down and isn't much of a seller.. Probably soft because it's not dry? I've got some spalted and flamed maple in my wood pile that is fresh cut (it was half the price of dry stuff) and it's quite soft.

Still though, if you can sticker it for a year or two, you might get a bargain, I'd say it's worth a punt for an hours drive and $45. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, curtisa said:

The lack of customer relations would be enough to put me off...

tru that!

46 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

My guess is he knows nothing about wood other than how to cut it down and isn't much of a seller.. Probably soft because it's not dry? I've got some spalted and flamed maple in my wood pile that is fresh cut (it was half the price of dry stuff) and it's quite soft.

Still though, if you can sticker it for a year or two, you might get a bargain, I'd say it's worth a punt for an hours drive and $45. 

well... the fact that he won't tell me anything about dimensions, can't tell me anything about what it is... could be a waste of $45 and/or an hour drive so... rather spend that money at my local lumber mill where I know I can get something useable and dry. 

• Like 1

I'm thinking a guy who has cut a tree before should know if a wood is relatively soft/hard compared to other trees he's cut... but who knows.  seemed more like he was telling me whatever he thought I wanted to hear to get me to drive all the way there figuring I'd just take whatever was there.  Rubbed me the wrong way.

there is a lumber supply a block away from my work where I can get teak, bubinga, zebra, purpleheart that is 4fs for $5-9 bdft... think I'm better off spending my money there.

I've learned a lot from this thread and thanks to all for your input.  there are a number of places I've found looking on craigslist and facebook that apparently have 'sisso' and 'ironwood' for $5-10bdft.  it's far more common than I thought.   Most of them say they work with local tree services and get their wood from trees that have fallen or are otherwise removed.  No idea how 'sisso' can be from local trees but I'm intrigued.  I think given how common it seems to be around here, I'm in no hurry, but sooner or later I'm going to hit a few of these places and snag something.  One of them is actually a small mill so, in case they offer shipping (will ask about uk), I'll report back on what I find.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ScottR said:

I had not heard if Sisso before and ran across this..

https://arizonareport.com/sissoo-tree-arizona-desert/

Probably something you found already. It looks like rosewood does grow in Arizona.....at least now it does.

SR

I did see that it meant indian rosewood, and wondered where all these mills where getting ahold of it... now I know!  I'd love to get a nice sized chunk of it for a top, body or neck so will be on the lookout.  thanks for the article!

12 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

I did see that it meant indian rosewood

It seems to be called North Indian Rosewood as opposed to the East Indian Rosewood that we all know and love.. I read that it is not normally imported the states as lumber, but is highly valued as such in India. Janka hardness of 1660, so it will definitely get harder as it dries.

You may be onto something there Mike.

SR

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ScottR said:

It seems to be called North Indian Rosewood as opposed to the East Indian Rosewood that we all know and love.. I read that it is not normally imported the states as lumber, but is highly valued as such in India. Janka hardness of 1660, so it will definitely get harder as it dries.

You may be onto something there Mike.

SR

right on well... not sure how that varies from east indian... but the pics I've seen of it look quite similar and it's sm family so.... good 'nuff fer me!  hope I can find something bigger that would be unique like a top or neck.  I spose it'd be heavy as all get out but could always do a 'semi hollow neck'!  I hear they are all the rage.

• Haha 1