Kemp Guitars Thread 2020

Happy New Year to all on PG!!!

A new year and a new thread, so I thought I'd kick things off with a little preview of what's going on in the workshop as we glide through January at an already seemingly fast pace...

338619953_150120(1).jpg.33122e53927cac1670587392ac661f1b.jpg

Edited by Guest

I love the build quality of the Kemp guitars, at least from photos, never seen one in person.

you've obviously made your own templates, do you just use MDF or have you had them laser cut?

the reason I ask is that the bearing on my router bits always digs into the MDF making my cavities slightly larger than they should be.

18 hours ago, willliam_q said:

I love the build quality of the Kemp guitars, at least from photos, never seen one in person.

you've obviously made your own templates, do you just use MDF or have you had them laser cut?

the reason I ask is that the bearing on my router bits always digs into the MDF making my cavities slightly larger than they should be.

Water down wood glue slightly and paint the edges of your Mdf templates then sand smooth, it will seal and harden the edges so the template doesn’t turn to smooth under your router 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2020 at 9:36 PM, willliam_q said:

Thanks for the comments 😃

My templates are made myself from MDF. In terms of keeping them damage free, as @ADFinlayson said; watered down wood glue or thin CA 😃

21 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

That's some bloody awesome colour! Or should I say awesome bloody? Just waiting to see

her polished.

Sorry dude, I missed your post. Yes, it's an odd colour. Looks very blood-like and almost orangey until it was sealed, now the red has popped and is awaiting clear coat. It will, however, be a matte finish in the usual Kemp style :)

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this custom SS has turned out really well IMO and I am wishing I don't have to give it up, but it is almost ready to make it's way to a new home as soon as I receive the Seymour Duncan Custom 5/Distortion set I ordered... Full gallery photoshoot coming later this week :)

210220-2.jpg.06fc6a1f5b2ed29d7969d1f8d71e17c5.jpg

210220-1.jpg.741c1cc1c951ff36f0c98900b32094f2.jpg

21 hours ago, KempGuitars said:

Well, this custom SS has turned out really well IMO and I am wishing I don't have to give it up, but it is almost ready to make it's way to a new home as soon as I receive the Seymour Duncan Custom 5/Distortion set I ordered... Full gallery photoshoot coming later this week :)

210220-2.jpg.06fc6a1f5b2ed29d7969d1f8d71e17c5.jpg

Beautiful job :)  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, komodo said:

Those lions will be in my dreams.

I'm still stuck in the Rhoads V in the first post. When can we see that?!

Yes, the famous lion blanket. Can't get rid of that now, it's been with me and my online updates for some years now :)

Regarding the V, that one is ready for paint but I'm waiting for better weather/temperatures at the moment (it's decided to get wintry cold here again) as it's gonna be a Nitro finish. Won't be too much longer I hope

... In the meantime, getting this one ready to ship shortly...

Custom SS with Quilted Maple drop-top on Alder body, Flame Maple bolt-on neck, Ebony fretboard with Blood Basin Jasper dots, Gotoh TOM and 381 Magnum Locking tuners, Seymour Duncan Custom 5 (bridge)/Distortion (neck) pups and that red-black burst matte finish :)

red-burst-quilted-maple-custom-superstra

On 2/27/2020 at 6:19 PM, KempGuitars said:

... In the meantime, getting this one ready to ship shortly...

Custom SS with Quilted Maple drop-top on Alder body, Flame Maple bolt-on neck, Ebony fretboard with Blood Basin Jasper dots, Gotoh TOM and 381 Magnum Locking tuners, Seymour Duncan Custom 5 (bridge)/Distortion (neck) pups and that red-black burst matte finish :)

She's a beauty. You mentioned that you put on a sealer before the clear coat. What did you use as a sealer?