57 Gibson Futura build

pshupe

1 hour ago, Bizman62 said:

Re saving some material, how about either of those to save the upper corner? My choice might be the left side but I don't know how much clearance is required.

Yeah - I don't generally get too crazy.  The stuff isn't that expensive.  Also if I leave some chunks I can always cut something out that I need later on. I really just wanted to get the stuff I needed for this build and see if I had a bit left over to test truss rod covers.

Cheers Peter.

I kept going with the pick guards and beveled all the edges on both sets.  I used my router table and just screwed the pick guards to a 1/4" mdf template and set my 45 degree chamfer bit to the correct height.

img_6807-jpg.433549

I set it up with all white and will just pack the black when I ship.  It's a pain to switch out the pick guard because the bridge sits on top of it but the two are exactly the same so it should not be an issue.

img_6809-jpg.433550

So this is pretty much where I started with this thread.  I packed it up and sent it off to the new owner on Thursday.  He should have it by tomorrow and I am looking forward to his reaction.  

img_6811-jpg.433551

img_6813-jpg.433552

So that's it for this one.  Thanks for watching.  On to the next project! 😁

Cheers Peter.
Edited by pshupe
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi.

Some beautiful work in this thread!

I thought I might take a crack at this. I've been collecting sources to have some fun and try and create the Linhoff Futura, which has some minor but interesting differences to the other prototypes around, in particular the routing. Here's some snippets of my process - starting with 3d documentation, aiming to create various jigs and tooling first and foremost.

I started off with the typical Futura patent drawing and scaled it in. I then collected various front-on photographs from around the place and realised that there were varying degrees of distortion - I thought the Linhoff Futura was aligned the most here (minimal tilt back or toward the camera).

Overlays.thumb.jpg.ccf3a077eff88a3fc5c91d3d63db7447.jpg

I continued to pull sources together paying close attention to this photo series http://www.atlasicons.com/search?KW=KURT+LINHOFF&I_DSC_AND=t&I_DSC=KURT+LINHOFF+&I_USER_ID=U0000.dfmUltV1w0&_ACT=search, which shows in more detail how the headstock was constructed, and the plate details on the reverse side.

I began to sketch...

BaseSketch.jpg

• 3 years later...
On 2/2/2020 at 3:51 PM, pshupe said:

Thanks - I almost wish that I kept this one!  I guess I could make myself another one or maybe an Explorer??

Cheers Peter.

Doing a bit of necroposty here 👀

I'm new here, Fernando from Brazil, I may call myself an amateur luthier, I finally build my workshop last year after literally 23 years trying to have one...
Have built 3 guitars and 2 acoustics in courses in this time, but nothing just by myself - and I'm beating my head at the wall sometimes because of it 😂

I start to think the Futura cool the last couple of weeks after finding it weird previously 

Is it possible to you share the drawing of your Futura to me?
Thanks a lot