Jump to content

I need tinted (blue) clear for my guitar


Recommended Posts

I'm done staining then painting with polyurethane on my flame maple guitar

I'm in a place  where TRANSTINT is Not available or any other transparent tint for my clear lacquer

I try tinting with lacquer based tinting color it works but its impossible to make even color (Using foam brush), so i sanded it again back to polyurethane coat

investing to spray gun might not be a good idea cause im only building one guitar

can anyone recommend what to use or what to do?


 

I want a teal blue, the yellowish color or  polyurethane turns the blue into teal blue 

SAM_0117.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The grain pattern looks nice, you've managed to make it pop really well!

A cheap spray gun (€20 -ish) can work well enough, at least that's what we've been buying for our projects on the course I'm at. Admittedly the adjusting can be more fiddly than with the professional ones but for once a year projects that's not a big issue. Cleaning any grease residues before using is a must but not a big deal.

If you don't have an air compressor, buying both the spray gun and the compressor is not worth it for one time use. You can buy rattle cans with 2k lacquer from a car paint shop, the hardener comes in a separate container which you punch into the can before using.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 1/19/2020 at 3:33 PM, Bizman62 said:

The grain pattern looks nice, you've managed to make it pop really well!

A cheap spray gun (€20 -ish) can work well enough, at least that's what we've been buying for our projects on the course I'm at. Admittedly the adjusting can be more fiddly than with the professional ones but for once a year projects that's not a big issue. Cleaning any grease residues before using is a must but not a big deal.

If you don't have an air compressor, buying both the spray gun and the compressor is not worth it for one time use. You can buy rattle cans with 2k lacquer from a car paint shop, the hardener comes in a separate container which you punch into the can before using.

Spraymax 2k cans are available on eBay and is top quality (German) stuff ... but you can't tint it :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KempGuitars said:

Spraymax 2k cans are available on eBay and is top quality (German) stuff ... but you can't tint it :(

I bought a SprayMax clear lacquer can at the local automotive paint shop as well as a can of the very colour of my car. So obviously they can mix any colour and fill a spray can with it, but I don't know if they can do the same with the 2k cans. Anyhow, wouldn't a tinted regular lacquer be used for the colour and SprayMax for a durable finish? If it works for cars it should work with guitars as well as there's no such elements as road salt or frost involved.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

I bought a SprayMax clear lacquer can at the local automotive paint shop as well as a can of the very colour of my car. So obviously they can mix any colour and fill a spray can with it, but I don't know if they can do the same with the 2k cans. Anyhow, wouldn't a tinted regular lacquer be used for the colour and SprayMax for a durable finish? If it works for cars it should work with guitars as well as there's no such elements as road salt or frost involved.

TBH, I never use tinted clear coat and have no knowledge of what can be done in terms of mixing spray cans for you other than standard solid colour 1k acrylic paint (like Halfords, U-Pol stockists, etc). 

Ask around. Failing that, you might have better luck with Nitro trans/semi-trans cans. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that you mentioned it, U-Pol was the can I got filled with that metallic shade and it worked just fine with the SprayMax.

I don't know if they have transparent/translucent colours at the car paint shops to be mixed with lacquer and canned but it never hurts to ask. Show car painting is such a large hobby (or even industry?) that anything should be available if you just know where to ask.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gonna throw this out there:
If anyone uses Spraymax or 2K - READ EVERYTHING about it first and protect yourself when using. It is not just a clear coat from the hardware store. It will send you to the ER with very little exposure if you don't protect yourself.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You're gonna struggle to get perfect results without spraying, but you could try thinning the poly with mineral spirits a bit as well as tinting with the dye, a thinner solution will be better at self-levelling and reduce the colour streaks between strokes. BUT make sure you brush it on along the grain, not along the flame and you would need to be quick about application and do as few brush strokes as you can. Ditch the foam brush for a good quality synthetic brush too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

thank you very much for your time, im almost done now i need a rubbing compound and wax but im currently lock down.(quarantine)
i plan to use turtle rubbing compound, but my problem here even without lockdown i cant i cant find sand paper higher thatn 1,500 grit and im done sanding it with 1,500 any advice ?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...