Sibling Rivalry

ScottR

So,  sometime last fall, around Thanksgiving I believe it was, I found myself with time on my hands. My last build was done, and I had a four day weekend with no projects.

Disaster for me....but easily fixed.

I cut up another piece of that super light black limba that I used in my last build, and got it all square for glue up.

My next build was always going to be a brother build to the last one. Pretty much the same of everything any with humbuckers and maybe a little color. Not twins, but definitely sharing some DNA.

I usually cut the two pieces of the body and try they pieces side by side in all combinations to pick the one I like best. This one ended up giving me a bookmatched butt.

DSC02754.JPGDSC02756.JPG

While that has been resting for a couple of months, I played with burl scraps and various color combinations, to learn and plan for the new top. And I picked up a nice piece of macassar ebony at Clarks Hardwoods here in Houston and cut and slotted a fretboard. Projects, those are what keep me healthy and happy.

This weekend I got a package from Northwest Timber.

DSC02757.JPG

They pack their wood really well for shipment. The piece was between two pieces of plywood as well as a double layer of cardboard.

DSC02765.JPG

So this is what I have to work with - my own guitar kit.

DSC02767.JPG

SR

• Like 4

I made a headstock cap and glued it on, and set the trussrod and locator pins so I could glue on the fretboard.

DSC02769.JPG

And I did just that and created the obligatory clamp farm.

DSC02771.JPG

While that is drying, it's time to cut the body out.

DSC02772.JPG

I did that and cleaned it up on the belt and spindle sander.

DSC02773.JPG

The bookmatched butt is still mostly intact.

DSC02775.JPG

SR

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShatnersBassoon said:

Gorgeous wood! I love working with inspiring materials

That's true isn't it.

The nicer materials I use, the prettier the wood, the more inspired I am to be creative and really work at doing a good job.

It's always been there, but I don't think I've ever looked at it quite that way before.

SR

• Like 2

YAASSS this is so good. Plus you will spur me to finish quicker. You outpace me 3:1.

That raw burl chunk was so gorgeous, I’m surprised you could even take a blade to it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, komodo said:

Plus you will spur me to finish quicker. You outpace me 3:1.

But yours are sooooo worth waiting for.

12 hours ago, komodo said:

That raw burl chunk was so gorgeous, I’m surprised you could even take a blade to it.

My wife thought the same thing. When I showed it to her her just stared at it. Finally she said " you are going to make me a table out of that, aren't you"?

Noooo.....but I'll get another one and do just that, babe.

SR

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, willliam_q said:

That looks like it would be hard work, how long did that take?  

im looking forward to following this one, the top is going to be very striking!

Two beers.

Is how long it took. On the clock it was a liittle less than two hours. I think a strong young man could maybe do it in 45 minutes or better, if he went at it non stop. I am neither of those things anymore, so I stretched it out for two beers.

SR

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Andy, I should say that some of your "sibling" builds planted the idea in my head to do this. That and the fact that I had enough wood from the first build to build two necks and three bodies....and I loved the burl enough to say--OH YEAH, I'M DOING THIS AGAIN!

So thanks for blazing the trail.

SR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ADFinlayson said:

phwar, so you doing a burl back and front or is one of those tops for another build? 

The piece I cut off is about the right size for a drop top.......but I never make anything flat....except maybe the top of my headstock and even it curves off the top edge. @RestorationADused to do carves on 3/8" tops, but I'm not up to that. So that thin piece will likely be cut up for headstock caps and accents or finish tests, stuff of that nature. The inch and an eight thick side will be the carved top for this.

SR

9 hours ago, curtisa said:

These pseudo-mandolin solid bodies of yours seem to be becoming your signature builds at the moment

At least until this one is done....

9 hours ago, curtisa said:

I wonder if you burn the same number of calories doing two hours resawing a top by hand as you would doing two hours of jogging? I know which one I'd find more rewarding...

Considering that it was a two beer cut, all burnt up calories were replaced by brand new fresh beer tasting calories.

I expect it would take more than that to get me out on a two hour jog.:D

SR

• Haha 2