Sibling Rivalry

ScottR

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

You are getting bored aren't you.

Yep. Can't use the kitchen table since my wife uses it for remote working. No workshop, outside it's still mostly not optimal... And I can't even start the other woodworking project yet. BTW couple of the thickest ones look pretty interesting and I know a guy with a big band saw. Maybe there's a guitar I'll build when I retire...

kuva.png.a735963b2c446ce7a1478ea7915a740f.png

Yeah, looks like there is some interesting grain hiding in a few of those.

Brrrr, you live too far north for my thin blood. It was in the low 90's here this weekend....around 33 in your terms. Many would find that too hot, but I love it.

SR

seeing your two posts bizman/scott... on the one hand I think "well the wife has been thinking a lot about moving to texas... and scottr says it's only 90s there and nice! (it topped 100 today here and not nice) and on the other hand I see that wood pile and some snow and thing "yep... that's where my bones belong.  the sting of cold in the winter but nothing like the smell of summer approaching/ice melting".

9 hours ago, mistermikev said:

I see that wood pile and some snow and thing "yep... that's where my bones belong.  the sting of cold in the winter but nothing like the smell of summer approaching/ice melting".

Hang on a minute, let's not jump off into the deep end just yet. That picture was taken nearly 4000 miles north and a quarter of a planet east of where you're at. I know the Arizona desert is not comfortable, but that's a bit extreme. You could just go north to Flagstaff, or southeast and then 2/3 of the way up Mt. Lemmon and you'd be fine.

I grew up outside of Kansas City and I remember the smell of ice melting clearly. It smells like mud. And it was my favorite smell of the spring, because it did indeed mean the ice was melting.

SR

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

Hang on a minute, let's not jump off into the deep end just yet. That picture was taken nearly 4000 miles north and a quarter of a planet east of where you're at. I know the Arizona desert is not comfortable, but that's a bit extreme. You could just go north to Flagstaff, or southeast and then 2/3 of the way up Mt. Lemmon and you'd be fine.

I grew up outside of Kansas City and I remember the smell of ice melting clearly. It smells like mud. And it was my favorite smell of the spring, because it did indeed mean the ice was melting.

SR

right on.  three days in and I'd hate it.  the missing piece of this puzzle is that I grew up in wisconsin... it gets VERY cold there... but yes, perhaps not as cold as the siberia where bizman lives.

yes, the smell of ice melting... that's something you wouldn't understand unless you lived in a cold region.  Very distinct smell of the ice melting and the earth being exposed for the first time in 6 months... perhaps it was only pleasant because we knew winter was over... but I guess I'd have to smell it again to know (it's been 12 years!)

• Like 1

that's a nice touch with the burst and then sand back.  looks pretty cool.  also, the glue... again looks pretty cool rough and I can't help but wonder if there is a way to make a pattern in the glue and leave it like that.  Storing away for later.  I'm sorry to always be liking your stuff at the halfway mark!  Looks even better at the 100% line.  u r so good even you unfinished work is awesome!

• Like 1

Just now, ScottR said:

Which sand back would that be?

I haven't done any sanding after spraying the burst.

SR

well i just assumed... it's on the back there where you have a sharp line on bottom side and softer transition from the burst on the top(neck) side.  It's such a definite line I assumed you sanded but now that I look at it the burst creeps in on the edge of that line.  Looks great.

Ahhh.

Between the edge of that bevel and the angle of my airbrush, the spray is blocked at that edge. Sometimes I'll blend in some spray from the other direction, sometimes I leave the line and let it contrast with the softer burst where the bevel blends in.

SR

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ScottR said:

Ahhh.

Between the edge of that bevel and the angle of my airbrush, the spray is blocked at that edge. Sometimes I'll blend in some spray from the other direction, sometimes I leave the line and let it contrast with the softer burst where the bevel blends in.

SR

should have just went with "I totally meant to do that".  It does look deliberate and has an air of 'how did he?". 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, JGTay said:

Whenever I look through your build projects I just keep thinking 'when I grow up I want to be as talented as Scott...' but I am only 14 years your junior and the skills you have are a lifetime away from me. 

Absolutely amazing work. 😀

Aw man, what a nice thing to say.:blush

Woodworking skills are nothing more than technique and patience. The unusual designs are just a product of an over-indulged imagination (daydreams) and a genuine appreciation of curves......

SR

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

Woodworking skills are nothing more than technique and patience. The unusual designs are just a product of an over-indulged imagination (daydreams) and a genuine appreciation of curves......

Indeed, any technique can be learned if you have patience. And if you don't, there's courses for that as well. I guess no-one here has a problem with either of those, or at least getting motivated enough to learn them.

It's the imagination part that is the issue. A carpenter who can level the walls of a a log cabin with a sharp axe is very highly skilled, yet he may not be able to carve simple figures not to mention being able to see and release the animals inside large logs.

• Like 1