Sibling Rivalry

ScottR

I got an email from Allied Lutherie overnight about their new ultralight FlexStrong truss rods. I use Allied's truss rods pretty much exclusively, but have not previously heard of these.

https://alliedlutherie.com/collections/flexstrong-truss-rods/products/flexstrong-ultralight-truss-rods

.28" x .28"! The actual use of them seems a bit awkward, but it may be worth it if you want an ultra thin neck.

Anyone else run across these or better still used them?

SR

• Like 1

that's pretty cool.  I'm gonna have to try one of those next time.  I just ordered a few reg flex strong for current/future builds and am always thrilled with how easy they turn/welds.  not much more than anywhere else and just awesome.  I love the idea of something lighter... but it seems like it would require either a special bit or multiple passes with a 1/8".

neck is looking awesome btw.  how do you keep your backside surface flat like that w just hand tools?

11 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

dang... I bet that's a lotta work... and it looks SO flat.  nice job.

Think of it this way.

Way back when, I started carving for the fun of it. That lead to the discovery of what figure is. About that time Santana was all over the place playing his crazy figured PRS. And I was/am a huge lover of music and particularly well played guitar. With these disparate concepts percolating in my head I met what became a good friend and he happened to be a musician. After being shown new carvings as I finished them, he said man, as much as you like music, you ought to carve a guitar. And the light bulb went off.

So bottom line, I'm just carving guitars, and carving is still a buttload of fun, so no, it's not a lotta work, it's a lotta fun!

SR

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Think of it this way.

Way back when, I started carving for the fun of it. That lead to the discovery of what figure is. About that time Santana was all over the place playing his crazy figured PRS. And I was/am a huge lover of music and particularly well played guitar. With these disparate concepts percolating in my head I met what became a good friend and he happened to be a musician. After being shown new carvings as I finished them, he said man, as much as you like music, you ought to carve a guitar. And the light bulb went off.

So bottom line, I'm just carving guitars, and carving is still a buttload of fun, so no, it's not a lotta work, it's a lotta fun!

SR

that's a great way of looking at it... but for me... I guess I just don't like the parts that are physically hard.  I don't mind 32 tedious steps... but yeah... the physical part seems like "less fun" anyway!

• Like 1

On to carving my logo into the volute.

DSC02818.JPG

I decided to use electrical tape to mask the fretboard instead of blue painter's tape. It is a more useful size, goes on ancomes off easier and is much more protective.

DSC02821.JPG

Perspective cane be deceiving

DSC02823.JPG

Headstock cap is coming along nicely.

DSC02824.JPGDSC02825.JPG

SR

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

It's turning into another beauty, nice work as always.

Thank you sir.

My picture editor has a slider for adjusting clarity. I suspect it used to be called "contrast" in the older version. Anyway I like to bring it up because I like seeing details and sharp focus. I think I'm going to have to back away from that in the future. I'm seeing things I need to fix in the posted pictures that I can't see with the naked eye.:blink:

SR

4 hours ago, ScottR said:

Thank you sir.

My picture editor has a slider for adjusting clarity. I suspect it used to be called "contrast" in the older version. Anyway I like to bring it up because I like seeing details and sharp focus. I think I'm going to have to back away from that in the future. I'm seeing things I need to fix in the posted pictures that I can't see with the naked eye.:blink:

SR

Nothing wrong with a bit of grain enhancement. I doubt there is a single photo on gibson/prs/fenders websites that hasn't been meddled with in photoshop. One thing I like about hosting my photos on photos.google.com is that I can do all that stuff even after I've embedded a photo on the forum, yet it stores all the edit history so a year later, I could come back and revert to the original file if needed.

The wonders of modern technology

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mistermikev said:

wow, yer fret work is really nice.  do tell your process when able.  neck looks amazing but from you I kind of just assumed it would be.

These last two builds I've modified my fret work technique a bit.

Now I finish sand the fretboard and round over the edges till they feel comfy. Then I mark each fret and cut it to the roundover. These are jumbo SS so for me that means butting the fret in a vice and cutting with a dremel  cut off wheel. Next- and this is the new part I use a slow grinder and grind the tang back from the edge at a 45 degree angle. and knock off the corners of the fret ends and even round it slightly. Then hammer them in and bevel the ends even with the file. That's one of the places the pre rounding pays off. Beveling the ends of SS is work! Then I take a crown file to the ends and round them off some more. I tape the board off--this time with electrical tape--which will now become a permanent part of the routine. I stick 300 rit to the base of my long low angle plane--the iron is removed-- and use that to level the frets. Truss rod is loose and the neck is supported. Now I stick 300 grit to a small cabinet scraper  and hold the neck vertically with no support and lightly run that over the frets in all directions, and use the edge to check for high spots. Crowning is pretty normal Except I got one of those Z-files from stew mac and love it. Once crowned , I polish with micro mesh. I turn the foam sanding block that comes with a mesh kit on an angle and run it up and down the fretboard. The corner runs up the side of the frets, over and back down and polishes and adds to the crowned shape as well. Run it through the grits to get a high polish. The domes are mostly done by running a sanding block similarly on edge and angling it over the ends as you run it up and down the board as well. I do this ale the way through the grits while polishing the frets and while sanding and finishing the neck.

Nothing to it!

SR

• Like 1