Fishman Fluence wiring translation from OTAX to Megaswitch M

JouniK

Hi,

I am starting to plan my wiring scheme for the build I am making. My first pickup wiring attempt with these 5-way superswitches. I got a wiring scheme from Fishman but I am using Schaller Megaswitch M instead of Otax so I need translate and add 2 volume blend trimpots.

Here is the document from Fishman: https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Tosin_Abasi_Install_Guide_Fluence_WEB.pdf

Plan is to use the same "Tosin Abasi preferred wiring diagram" but replacing the switch. So 1 master volume and the same pickup configuration. Difference is that I want to add 2 volume blend trimpots at the position 3 for bridge and neck pickup.

Would this work:

FishmanTosin.thumb.JPG.612f8ed2770f1c14889584fab5bdc8b2.JPG

To this: (note that I mistakenly drew bridge and neck PUs other way around)

diagram1.thumb.JPG.ecf803156c90bda45da92b663a0287ef.JPG

not knowing anything about tosin's preferred wiring nor the megaswitch nor the wiring scheme of fluence it looks like the way this would work is in position 3 you'd have individual volume controls for either pickup and then a master.  doesn't look like your second half of the switch is doing anything because there is nothing going to common on either seg.  ie m and s. so as drawn I would say it will not work.  on the orig drawing common is going to one of those secondary segs and one of the wires from neck is going to the other.

7 hours ago, mistermikev said:

your second half of the switch is doing anything because there is nothing going to common

Do you mean the bottom 2 sequences all together or only the sequence marked as red?

Capture.JPG.ba078ea944fc77ec49b9b779029417c7.JPG

I have now been staring this sequence for few days now and trying to understand it. Now when I read the Fishman definition I have come to a conclusion that this is only connecting the inner and outer coil outs of neck and bridge together and signal is then going out through the bridge hot wire at the position 2 of the top right sequence

Edited by JouniK

yes, I don't know what the 3 right side wires on each fluence are... I would assume perhaps it's a live, a neg and a series connection between the two coils?  if so... in pos 2 they are being connected together ie a single coild from one goes into a single coil from the other... and y ou are only grounding your variable resistors in pos 3 (could just run them straight to ground as they can be grounded when not in use) 

seems legit.  again, if you have documentation of what the fluence wires are... that'd help but it looks like everything is in order.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

I don't know what the 3 right side wires on each fluence are... I would assume perhaps it's a live, a neg and a series connection between the two coils?

This from Fishman:

Pin 1 – “Voice-2” Select – This contact selects Voice-2 when connected to ground via switch. If open (not connected) the pickup defaults to Voice-1. This is a control pin only, so there is no signal present. Therefore, it can be combined with Voice-2 control pins from multiple Fluence pickups on the same switch contact if need be without interaction. (This can help simplify switch requirements in some cases.)

Pin 2 –“SCO” and “NCO” – These stand for “South Coil Out” for the Bridge pickup and North Coil Out” for the Neck. These are used on Tosin’s switch position-2 to connect the inner coils together while feeding the signal through the Bridge pickup in Voice-3 Single Coil mode.

Pin 3 –“Single Coil” Voice-3 Select – This contact selects Voice-3 Single Coil mode when connected to ground via switch. If open (not connected) the pickup defaults to Voice-1/Voice-2 as selected by the Voice-2 pin. Voice-3 Single Coil mode overrides the setting of the Voice-2 pin when activated. In Voice-3 Single Coil mode, the active coil is the one closest to the neck for both Bridge and Neck pickups. In the same way as the Voice-2 pin, “Single Coil” Voice-3, it can be combined with “Single Coil” control pins from multiple Fluence pickups on the same switch contact without interaction.

42 minutes ago, JouniK said:

This from Fishman:

Pin 1 – “Voice-2” Select – This contact selects Voice-2 when connected to ground via switch. If open (not connected) the pickup defaults to Voice-1. This is a control pin only, so there is no signal present. Therefore, it can be combined with Voice-2 control pins from multiple Fluence pickups on the same switch contact if need be without interaction. (This can help simplify switch requirements in some cases.)

Pin 2 –“SCO” and “NCO” – These stand for “South Coil Out” for the Bridge pickup and North Coil Out” for the Neck. These are used on Tosin’s switch position-2 to connect the inner coils together while feeding the signal through the Bridge pickup in Voice-3 Single Coil mode.

Pin 3 –“Single Coil” Voice-3 Select – This contact selects Voice-3 Single Coil mode when connected to ground via switch. If open (not connected) the pickup defaults to Voice-1/Voice-2 as selected by the Voice-2 pin. Voice-3 Single Coil mode overrides the setting of the Voice-2 pin when activated. In Voice-3 Single Coil mode, the active coil is the one closest to the neck for both Bridge and Neck pickups. In the same way as the Voice-2 pin, “Single Coil” Voice-3, it can be combined with “Single Coil” control pins from multiple Fluence pickups on the same switch contact without interaction.

well not sure how those translate to color, but that does seem to match up with what is happening on the switch. push pull engages voice 2, left side bottom selector is engaging SCO/NCO in pos 2, right side bottom is engaging single coil mode in pos 2 and 4. 

• 4 months later...