Patterns with only drill

guitarian

Hi Guitarians,

I am making my own acoustic guitar and it is nearly done however I have not cut the circle hole in the body. Instead, I was thinking about a non classic circle hole pattern. However, I have only a drill and some bits like different size tips, hole saw bits (in different sizes). 

So my question is about a pattern with only these (drill) bits. Do you have any ideas or templates? See the attachment for an example

Untitled.png

At first I thought you already had made up your mind about the patterns as the uppermost one looks like a paw print.

Together and upright they look like an elderly lady with saggy breasts and hair rollers...

Ovation has made acoustics with a bunch of smaller holes. That said, the biggest of their holes are quite large... Then again, I've seen guitars with a wooden mesh as the sound hole. That leads to think that the actual size doesn't matter as much as the combined hole area if the holes are close enough each other.

Pattern-wise, I think it's just a case of moving the circles around on your drawing app until you find a pattern that pleases you.

If it is a full acoustic (rather than an electro acoustic) make sure that there is nothing where you need access to the internal chamber.  The two things that occur to me off the top of my head are clamping the bridge and any undersaddle piezo or other internal pickup arrangements.

• Like 1

There are some pretty amazing designs made from only circles ... maybe check crop circle images for inspiration. Some of them are very pleasing, although maybe too complex. They could be altered/simplified easily -- for strength reasons at the holes would probably need to be spaced further apart than these examples:

606839360_ScreenShot2020-02-19at11_15_40AM.png.688a52790627b631fa4784e9faf1b421.png

251754608_ScreenShot2020-02-19at11_17_14AM.png.c5cfd81f2cd92d182862a971a454a5f5.png

Good luck, I'm interested on seeing what you settle on!