Wiring questions

Aaaaaaaaaaaa

10 hours ago, norm barrows said:

looks like a humbucker,  ,with a black and a yellow wire coming out of one hole in the base plate - probably from one of the coils, and a red wire and a second black wire coming out a second hole in the base plate - probably from the other coil.

and the black wire from the second coil looks like its attached to the yellow wire of the first coil, where they are both soldered to the same bit of copper on the circuit board.  so it looks like the red is hot, the black and yellow are your coil splits, and the black one on the big copper strip is ground, and the red wire coil is your 1st coil, and the yellow wire coil is your second coil.

Thank you so much, this really helps 🙏

So could I theoretically solder additional wiring to the copper segments or would you suggest I just cut the wires and work from there? (Sorry I’m pretty new to all of this)

On 2/28/2020 at 2:38 PM, Aaaaaaaaaaaa said:

Hey I bought this Jolana Iris pickup a month or so ago and I was just curious if anyone knew which black wire would be my ground and perhaps what the other one would go to??

2DA0F3A4-BF2A-4C95-B0C0-960EB22F734E.jpeg

while it would make sense that the four blocks represent the four ends of the  coil wire... and the big block should be ground... any number of things coul be happening on the other side of that plate.  I do not recommend you just start desoldering things because more than likely there is a fine wire under those globs of solder that are in fact the coil wires.  If you disconnect them: no worky no more. 

best place to start is a multimeter and confirm that on the other side the inner two coils are connected in series. 

23 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

any number of things coul be happening on the other side of that plate

You may be right. Then again, guitar pickups don't have too many wires so they look like soldering extension spots. Plus they look like the copper is on top of the brass with some insulation in between.

Oh and by the way, it looks more like a Jolana Diamant Spektrum humbucker as the Iris seems to be a single coil for their Tele-ish model.

1 hour ago, Bizman62 said:

You may be right. Then again, guitar pickups don't have too many wires so they look like soldering extension spots. Plus they look like the copper is on top of the brass with some insulation in between.

Oh and by the way, it looks more like a Jolana Diamant Spektrum humbucker as the Iris seems to be a single coil for their Tele-ish model.

I would posit that anything other than testing with a multimeter is going to be "just a guess".