Laminate neck....

I am planning to build my first neck laminated from several pieces of wood, as I want to use a very nice properly quatersawn piece of curly soft maple. I know that soft maple is not that stable, therefore I got a piece which is "very" quatersawn;) and was dried properly. The seller told me that many of his customers use this wood for guitar necks WITHOUT even using laminates and is convinced that it is stable and stiff enough for the job. As I don't want to see alot of work going to waste I decided to insert two stripes of Bubinga. I wonder how thick they should be in order to really make a difference. So far I plan to cut the neck blank in three pieces and to insert two 6mm Bubinga stripes. Is that enough or do they have to be thicker in order to make a difference? All necks I made so far were one-piece necks with a glued on fingerboard, so I don't have expirience here....

Any redommendations for the thickness of the stripes?

P.s.: The neck will be used for a 7-string electric guitar with a hotrod style trussrod.

Please don't tell me about reinforcing the neck with graphite rods, as I prefer the neck to be "wood only", except for the trussrod itself.

Thanks in advance,

Marcel Knapp!

i would use 3 pieces of one type of wood(maple?)at 3/4" strips and 2 pieces of another type between them(ebony?bocote?bubinga)at 3/8" a piece

this will give you a 3" wide neck blank for your 7 string,will be very strong,and will look sharp

and with all those laminates carbon rods would be overkill

I used bubinga on a neck, but since it's going to be a super thin wizard, i played it safe and just wen with a 1" wide hunk of bubinga, the neck is completely quartersawn, hopefully the grain line will help the bubinga look a bit flashy and little less bulky johnneck20.jpg

hi..

i show your homepage... good..

i want to be you masterbuilder ..

make your dream.. in need..

i envy you .. your perfect woking room.. and tools..

my woking room is too small T_T and i do not my woking in night..

bye...

I actually laughed aloud when I read your post.

I'm actually in the process of making a neck of the same woods (sorta).

Its a 5 pc, birdseye maple/bubinga/soft curly maple/bubinga/birdsey maple.

I used two 3/4" birdseye maple pieces for the outers, then the bubinga pieces are each 1/4" and the curly maple is also a 1/4".

It has a pretty good balance on it so far, and it looks sharp. The total neck width would be 2.75" Big enough for a 5 string bass neck...i dunno if thats the right size for 7 string guitar?

Heres a pic:

5pc.jpg

The upper portion I haven't finished thicknessing yet, which is why it looks kind of crooked.

nope, it's the same peice of wood, i was able to get a peice of bubinga that had the sap wood and the hardwood from the tree, the white is the inside of the tree where the cellls are dead, and dried out, the red part is the outer layers of "rings" of a tree that were still alive when the tree was cut down, even after being dried for 3 years, there's always going to be a colour difference between the 2 parts of the wood

how do you post the pictures anyway? just asking, because i want to post some pictures...

The forum does not allow uploading of images. You can only link ti images which are hosted somewhere else. That means you have to uploead the pictures somewhere else and then you link to them in this board. There are many free hosters so don't waste money for uploeading the pics somewhere.

Wow Wes that guitar is gorgeous. I love the way that lam neck looks, espesially the accent piece up by the scarf joint. If you dont mind me asking did you glue that piece onto the seperate headstock piece and the glue the entire thing onto the neck. Also is that piece kind of wedge shaped getting smaller towards the FB or does it just look that way once the profile is shaped.

The only problem with that guitar is that it's not left-handed, I couldn't play it. :D

Since I think the original question has been answered, and this is related to the orig. q, I'll ask here instead of in a new thread.

Ebony is said to be a hard wood (not hardwood but *hard* wood), right? Could it be used for a full neck? If so, has anyone seen such a thing? Or is it just too pricy?

a local luthier here is about to make an all ebony neck for a customer, i'll try and take some pics for ya guys and get some pricing on it...

one thing nobody menchaned though was that an all ebony neck would weight about twice as much as a regular neck.

a local luthier here is about to make an all ebony neck for a customer, i'll try and take some pics for ya guys and get some pricing on it...

one thing nobody menchaned though was that an all ebony neck would weight about twice as much as a regular neck.

That sounds cool!

Yeah, it'd be heavier... maybe not twice as heavy though. About 27 to 48% heavier (vs. maple) by the numbers on this site.