Old low angle block plane

Uh....wow.

You're a man that appreciates a good challenge, huh?

Well, not to state the obvious, you've got to get the rust off and see if there is anything under there worth salvaging. I don't have any miracle cures for removing rust....although I think there are some out there. I'd probably soak it in WD40 for a week and then go after it with a wire brush.

SR

9 hours ago, ScottR said:

Uh....wow.

You're a man that appreciates a good challenge, huh?

Well, not to state the obvious, you've got to get the rust off and see if there is anything under there worth salvaging. I don't have any miracle cures for removing rust....although I think there are some out there. I'd probably soak it in WD40 for a week and then go after it with a wire brush.

SR

That sounds doable.  Thanks.

That's quite a challenge. I'd soak it in PlusGas for a while before dismantling it. It might need a bit of heat too. Then you'll have to see what the thread is like for the adjuster wheel - if there's enough metal left, you can always re-cut the thread to clean it up. I'd then get the metal parts sand blasted, or attack it with a wire brush. Drill and/or Dremel bits will help. Once clean, paint it up with Rustoleum. Finally you will need to get the contact surfaces flat and clean. 

Personally I'd probably try to find a better example to recondition. That one looks pretty far gone :)

• Like 2