Bridge Change

Ok, I'm currently building a solidbody electric, resembling a soloist.

At the moment, it's unfinnished, and has a vintage-style 6 hole tremolo bridge. I was wondering if it would be possible to change it it a 2 post Wilkinson/Gotoh tremolo (http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Guitar,_tremolo/Wilkinson_Gotoh_Tremolo_Bridges.html)

I'm not overly pleased with the vintage (which happens to be a cheap generic brand), and wanted to upgrade to something that would perform more smoothly, and keep in the goods with intonation (my vintage, the intonation tends to change on its own over time)

So basicly, my concerns are these: Will I be able to securely add in posts where the 6 screws used to be? Will my intonation be screwed if I make the change? Will the old holes from the 6 hole be covered up, or coverable?

The existing hole on the top for the trem is only routed big enough so the 6 hole one just goes in.

I realize this is kind of difficult without any pictures, and I'm expecting a no, but I thought it would be worth asking. I an get some pictures and measurements if theyre needed.

Thanks

as long as you measure out where the two fulcrums go, you'll be fine.

thats pretty minor mod too - i went from vintage trem to OFR with just hammer and chizel!

yeh just get your dimensions right and fill in the 6 screw holes

slight sustain block cavity mod migh tbe needed, but that wont be anything big

Welcome to the forum Zeppo_09 :D

Yes it can be done but just like Streamline said your going to end up having to fille the original holes since they will be visable.

I'd recommend using a drill press with a deep reach to drill out the holes for the new anchors though.

Thanks, both of you.

I was kind of worried about filling the 6 screw holes because I'm going for a finnish where that would probably be VERY visable (danish oil with a polyurathane clear coat) if I just used regular wood filler. I guess im going to try and find a way to make it look intentional or something :D

I'm really regretting buying that stupid fender style lol

Thanks, both of you.

I was kind of worried about filling the 6 screw holes because I'm going for a finnish where that would probably be VERY visable (danish oil with a polyurathane clear coat) if I just used regular wood filler. I guess im going to try and find a way to make it look intentional or something B)

I'm really regretting buying that stupid fender style lol

maybe some kind of wood inlay? make it look purty? :D

Yea, I was thinking plugs, but theyre pretty damn small :D

I may yet just get some really dark woodfiller. The wood is pretty dark when stained. I'm afraid no matter what I do its going to look like I goofed, but the headstock is already... goofed.

Might try some possible solutions on a piece of the leftover scraps.