Neck Advice please

Jimbo

Would you please clarify?

Is there a problem in finding necks with a heel that wide, or are the options too wide?

If the neck is too wide it's easy to take some material off either from the heel below the fretboard or from the neck pocket.

If the neck is too shallow you can glue veneer either to the sides of the neck pocket or to the heel.

The most important and challenging part of your process is to find a neck matching the scale length of your body.

typical strat neck is 2 3/16 so 56mm.  so I'm guessing he means the pocket is too wide.

I'm sure someone could custom make you a neck for less than $600!  hehe

you probably aren't going to find any commercial sites that will offer anything that wide other than (if you got lucky) maybe guitar fetish.  I would think your best bet is to buy a std strat neck and put veneer on the sidewalls to close the gap.  note that the side gaps shouldn't really cause any issue other than cosmetic assuming you have it bolted tight.

2 hours ago, JayT said:

could he just move the bridge?

The short answer is yes. @Bizman62 makes this point because he is starting with a kit which is usually pre-drilled for the bridge  and pre-routed for pickups and so on. Swapping out pre-fretted necks that fit in the the neck pocket correctly, with the bridge already located and having them both in the proper spot for the scale the neck is made to is a trickier endeavor.

SR