Yew-topped SG-style Guitar

1 hour ago, Norris said:

Fabulous. The yew looks like it's on fire

Exactly. like he cut the top out of living flame!

Dammit Andy, I've already drooled over this once today. I've run out of superlatives......

.......oh wait, astounding, astonishing, amazing, stunning,fabulous, stellar, brutally good, and just really, really, really soothing to look. at.

I found some more.:)

Bravo sir, stand up and take a bow.

SR

• Thanks 1

Thanks, folks.  You are all very kind :)

Well, Matt has sorted (we think) the errant neck pickup and I have reshaped the neck to what feels right to me and Matt has tried it and is very happy with it.

So tomorrow is refit the pickup and the start of the neck refinish (pretty quick job).  Should be able to pass it over to him mid week :)

I'm out of superlatives! There's so many details involved, things I might or even should have thought of in my builds, things I'd like to be able to do and things I'd like to remember to do in my future builds... Yew have let the wood speak for itself which is what Iike very much.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

This very much reminds of of The Wookiee! I love that sublime appearance in the top....flashy but elegant, and it fundamentally reminds you that this is wood. Too many guitars look like rubber-stamped IKEA furnishings these days for all manner of reasons, good and bad. This is wood showing its wild nature, with your work bringing that beauty out into realisation. Absolutely what one should strive to achieve. Working wood to the surface of the finished piece is the hardest transition, as one cannot hide poor workmanship or laziness. Everything must be 100% and it is.

Very glad that you underlined just how toxic Yew is, and that you took care in working with it. Generally it's the sort of wood one would split and plane than generate dust with. It's important that people know that it can be deadly to work with (cardiac issues) but generally a problem that is easy to mitigate with basic precautions. If in doubt, don't use it.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, folks.  Much appreciated :)

I'm hoping the one I voted for and personally would have wanted to take home (actually, I would have loved to take ALL of them home!) is re-submitted.  It has some very nice features and all executed very nicely indeed :)

Actually, there are a few that should be resubmitted...