HSH Wiring help required

ADFinlayson

I am going to be building a HSH build with 5-way blade switch with the following options. 

1. bridge hum
2. bridge hum + middle sc
3. middle sc
4. neck hum + middle sc
5. neck hum

I want to use a push pull pot or toggle switch to change the middle position from middle sc to both neck and bridge hum. 

how do I do that? anyone got a diagram that describes what I want to do? Googling hasn’t returned what I’m after

Cheers
Ash

Using a basic push-pull pot (or mini toggle) can get you there, but there are a couple of caveats:

• The changeover from middle single to dual humbuckers will work, but will give you some odd pickup combos in positions 4 and 2 if you forget to return the push-pull back to the 'normal' position. You'll effectively get the 'both humbuckers' option in positions 2, 3 and 4 until you put the push-pull back to normal.
  • If you want the mini toggle/push-pull to have some kind of 'auto-defeat' function to automatically return positions 2 and 4 to Hum+Single it will require something like the 4-pole 5-way Mega Blade Switch to operate, so you'd need to factor a bigger, more expensive switch and more fiddly wiring into your build.

1 hour ago, curtisa said:

Using a basic push-pull pot (or mini toggle) can get you there, but there are a couple of caveats:

• The changeover from middle single to dual humbuckers will work, but will give you some odd pickup combos in positions 4 and 2 if you forget to return the push-pull back to the 'normal' position. You'll effectively get the 'both humbuckers' option in positions 2, 3 and 4 until you put the push-pull back to normal.
  • If you want the mini toggle/push-pull to have some kind of 'auto-defeat' function to automatically return positions 2 and 4 to Hum+Single it will require something like the 4-pole 5-way Mega Blade Switch to operate, so you'd need to factor a bigger, more expensive switch and more fiddly wiring into your build.

My thinking was that the toggle would only affect position 3 and not the others, maybe a jumper to go from the switch out to the toggle and back again so that position 3 is switchable? I was going to use a mega blade switch anyway. I was also planning to have a couple of toggles to split the humbuckers separately to the  blade switch so position 2. Would potentially be bridge sc + middle sc 

This should get you close. I've omitted grounds, pots, jacks, pickups for clarity. Wiring colours don't mean anything in particular other than to make following it easier. Note the large number of jumpers on the Megaswitch which will be a bit of a challenge to wire up. In practice it may pay to re-arrange the wiring slightly such that you don't have more than two wires on any terminal. The mini toggle shown could either be a dedicated switch or the switching element on the back of a push-pull.

HSH 5-way wiring.PNG

Ah yes the elusive combo. I've been down this path and as Curtisa pointed out you can get unwanted sounds. On one guitar I used a Rotary switch but they are kind-of annoying. I am hopeless at following diagrams and instructions but I'm sure Curtisa has it covered for you

Personally I decided to leave out the Neck+Middle combination just to keep it simple (err, well more simple) By the way did you know you can wire it so at No 2 position it splits the coils on the bridge?