semi hollow rim width ideas?

Rones

Well

i am an amatuer furniture maker delving into guitar creation! I am drafting up a neck thru semi hollow bodied guitar and wonder what all you veterans think about for the width of the shell (or rim) of the guitar. i have thought about making it an inch wide, but not sure if this is plausible. Wondering if ya'll think 3/4" thickness

is adequate also, with laminated 3/8" top and bottom. Too Thin? Not thin enough?

Also, i have quartersawn mahogany in the shop for the neck, but no surplus quartered planks for the rim, only full sawn. should I be wary of fullsawn even on the rim?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks

mick

gonna use a bigsby trem unit, probably the b5, even though it is for straight solid bodies, i like how it looks in comparison to others.

Don't believe i will do a string through, think the neck construction will offer enough sustain.

any ideas on the fretboard width necessary for a bigsby? haven't gotten to the local shop for reckon yet!

Thanks for your help

mick

any ideas on the fretboard width necessary for a bigsby?  haven't gotten to the local shop for reckon yet!

Most of 'em just use a Tuneomatic bridge (Stew-Mac used to offer a TOM style roller bridge, but it's been discontinued), so nothing unusual on the width, but you will have to consider the neck angle. I don't think a recessed bridge will work with that Bigsby, but I could be wrong about that. The B5 (I think) comes with an archtop style fixed bridge, but I haven't seen anyone recently who uses it. That's the extent of my ignorance, maybe somebody else can be more help.