Like demons in your head - percolating ideas

komodo

Ignore my demon-infested stream of consciousness ramblings.

Gah, this whole "hobby" is such an addiction. My problem is that if I have wood or parts that could be guitars sitting around, it's my duty to figure out how how to bring them into the world. And, I've got quite a bit of wood and parts sitting around.

No matter what I'm currently working on, this one keeps knocking. I've got three P90s, two were custom built for me and the third is a stacked that I got as the bridge position. And, I've got this korina neck-through that has a truss slot routed and carbon bars in already. My current Black Queen build was going to be a semi-hollow but I changed course. Then, I thought the korina neck would be great as a double cut LP Jr, and then as a korina V with three P90s . . . Another thing is I have an addiction to figured wood, but I always flip out when I see a super simple non-figured guitar. Like the plain maple topped LPs.

As of this morning, I'm kinda forming the idea of a semi-hollow, hard tail, three P90 all korina in the range of a Blueshawk / Gibson ES-140 type deal. IDK. This has never been my style of guitar, I'm an 80s hair metal, classic rock and prog player. But, I keep thinking of a Steve Howe kinda thing. My actual real-world problem right now, is that I have NO space for any finished guitars. Seriously, I've got to sort that first.

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 11.29.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 11.28.06 AM.png

The tones that thing would put out will be sublime.

29 minutes ago, komodo said:

My actual real-world problem right now, is that I have NO space for any finished guitars. Seriously, I've got to sort that first.

I'm familiar with the issue.

You may have to use some of your wood to build a multi-guitar rack.

SR

Yeah, I've got multiple tabs pulled up of racks.

Also, I just got the idea of 'what if this was a baritone'? ahahahahah Not sure if my neck core would support that length but I'll check. Pretty sure I've got a fret board already cut anyhoo.

Also, today Greg Koch was doing a live Instagram thing and said he’s having some signature P90s done with Fishman. It will ‘unlock the P90’, be silent, phase switching, all the business. That sounds mighty interesting.

• Like 1

Still screwing around with this, I love doing the designing part. And here is the way my brain works - put all of this crap into a blender, and this is what I'm thinking. A guitar that you could play classic Yes on. A smaller form factor like the Turner or the Bartlett parlor. Three P90s for the grunt and the clarity. Semi hollow for the articulation, slight acousticy edge. ALL korina for the simplicity and incredible tone.

I'll shelve it for now as I've got plenty of crap to do. But, it'll be waiting, and the neck through part is already done.

mix.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 11.00.55 AM.png

• Like 1

Knowing what you're after is definitely a good starting point for a design!

Since my knowledge of guitars used for the music I'd like to learn to play is very limited so my decisions have rather been on the "I don't have that sort of a guitar yet, let's see how she sounds". It's the same with shapes. Then again, as Randy Richter proves in his video the gear don't play a major role: https://youtu.be/D1hYbd3ebPQ

Knowing that some of the icons of that era like Carl Perkins used to change their guitars so often that they had no "signature" guitar for their sound that would not be a sacrilege.

On 5/6/2020 at 11:32 AM, komodo said:

My actual real-world problem right now, is that I have NO space for any finished guitars. Seriously, I've got to sort that first.

Easy solution, I have plenty of room. Ship them to me

• Haha 2