Old unfinished builds

I finally made it to the back of my disaster shop area and found this hiding in the closet ( also another electric not finished as well). I made this about 8 years ago and never finished it. The top is from a 100 year old barn siding piece I re-sawed into 4 sections ( western red cedar). The sides and back are Book matched Ambrosia Maple. That was a PITA to do since the colors are from bug butt stains and not grain. The binding is bocote. The rosette is birdseye maple and the back wedge trim is curly maple. Man what a funny combination. 1f642.png I put a shellac sealer coat on it all. I guess I should make a neck and bridge for it. LOL!!!

MK

acou1.jpg

acou2.jpg

acou3.jpg

acou4.jpg

acou5.jpg

Made this approx 8 years ago as well, Swamp ash Back, walnut middle and Spalted Pecan top. Neck is set neck curly maple, Striped ebony Fret board and lacewood head stock veneer. This was the last handmade neck I did. Went to CNC on necks after this one. I guess I need to finish this as well LOL

dc3a.jpg

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Those need to be finished.

I think you need to stop cleaning up the shop. If you keep digging you may find your mother in law.

Some things are best left lost....

SR

ps.  apologies to your mother in law, I'm sure she is a special lady.

sr

Too Funny Scott, No problem about the MIL she has been gone for many years.

Funny these may have been almost 10 years ago. LOL

mk

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, MiKro said:

@ScottR, No I made a path to that layer and bypassed a bunch of shit. LOL!!!

MK

Oh, you took a core sample.:D

At some point in the not too distant future, I'm going to take this view to my mess:

Okay, it took me twenty years to build this mess, and I figure I've got 15 good years left. I'll be damned if I'm going to waste any of the good ones deconstructing this bastard. :killinme

SR

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/11/2020 at 2:35 PM, MiKro said:

I finally made it to the back of my disaster shop area and found this hiding in the closet ( also another electric not finished as well). I made this about 8 years ago and never finished it. The top is from a 100 year old barn siding piece I re-sawed into 4 sections ( western red cedar). The sides and back are Book matched Ambrosia Maple. That was a PITA to do since the colors are from bug butt stains and not grain. The binding is bocote. The rosette is birdseye maple and the back wedge trim is curly maple. Man what a funny combination. 1f642.png I put a shellac sealer coat on it all. I guess I should make a neck and bridge for it. LOL!!!

MK

acou1.jpg

ade this approx 8 years ago as well, Swamp ash Back, walnut middle and Spalted Pecan top. Neck is set neck curly maple, Striped ebony Fret board and lacewood head stock veneer. This was the last handmade neck I did. Went to CNC on necks after this one. I guess I need to finish this as well LOL

dc3a.jpg

interesting - I also call mine a disaster shop but I suspect it's for totally different reasons (hehe - it's where I make disasters out of wood from scratch!)

bug but stain... sounds like someone has a great name for a stain company.  love it.

that acoustic looks beautiful... and the guitar is lovely.  can't imagine what would make someone stop mid stream on two seemingly stunning builds... but perhaps someday I'll get there!  cheers