Glues and epoxy?

Does anyone know if wood glues will bond to epoxy impregnated wood?

As regulars will know im making a palmwood neck and im thinking about the gluing in and finishing process.

I'm seriously considering brush on epoxy as a finish as I think impregnating the soft wood with this will do well to strengthen it.

Thinking about glue up. I'm sure it will be ok with traditional methods but I'm thinking it would add strength and help avoid a catastrophic failure if I can impregnate the gluing area also. If I did this would glue still work? wood glue? polyurethane? epoxy itself?

Epoxy for gluing in necks has been discussed before and its generally considered that its not best suited to tight joints etc.

On 5/12/2020 at 3:01 PM, ScottR said:

If you sand back the epoxy impregnated wood to open pores , wood glue will work. Otherwise epoxy to epoxy is the way to go.

SR

Thanks. That sounds like I have options. I'm guessing epoxy to epoxy you want a thicker layer, both surfaces impregnated first?, and no significant clamp pressure?

Not necessarily.

You don't need to impregnate the second surface first. use enough for it impregnate during the glue up. scuff the already impregnated surface and use sufficient pressure to flood the pores on the fresh side. It is okay to use significant clamping pressure with epoxy. You still want squeeze out and you don't want to leave a giant glue line. As long as you have not squeezed the joint dry a thin layer of epoxy is good, probably better than a thick layer.

SR

This has most likely been asked before, but: Is there a major difference between the epoxy used for impregnating and/or moulding to the 2k glue sold under various brands like Super Epoxy? I've used the glue and for what I know it doesn't shrink or swell and it fills gaps.