Lockdown Project

albizo74

Hi everyone!

I'm not sure this is the appropriate section where to introduce myself, but seeing as I would like to ask some advice I thought I would catch two birds with one stone.

My name is Alberto, Italian living in UK for the best part of 17 years now. I am a mechanical design engineer for a living, and have been playing guitar as a hobby for about 30 years. Due to the current situation I have been working from home for the past 9 weeks, and I started modelling an electric guitar during my free time (seeing as I have access to the design software I use for work 😃). 

Seeing as I have no woodworking skills or resources, this is just an exercise at the moment, but I haven't ruled out the possibility of hiring someone to craft the guitar for me once we are through this emergency.

I started by laying down a preliminary sketch on inkscape and refined it until I was happy with the way it looks, then I began modelling yhe various parts on Creo Parametric: I think I nailed down the design of the body and I started modelling the neck/fretboard, but I hit a wall when it came down to design the neck/headstock joint. My intention would be to model a straight headstock 4+2 similar to a Music Man, but I have no familiarity with complex surface modelling on Creo.

Is there any member who has done something similar on Creo and would be happy to give me some pointers about how to tackle this challenge?

Many thanks in advance 👍

1996049019_Capture2.thumb.JPG.b79d1307582d1bcc420f8e6d8546d02b.JPG616618175_Guitar1.thumb.JPG.b2363c00c2df44d35b6eb09bed585e7f.JPG

Welcome to the forum. As far as I'm aware, the music man headstock is not angled so there is no joint, it's more like a strat headstock where it just slopes down. I have no idea how you would model that but it's by far the easiest kind of neck design to make, in fact there are music man templates available to use when it comes to building.

There are a few UK based members on here. @Andyjr1515 and @Norris have just finished builds for other people, but you might have to wait 3 years for a guitar by Norris 😂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, albizo74 said:

Is there any member who has done something similar on Creo and would be happy to give me some pointers about how to tackle this challenge?

Not in Creo, but I have done something similar in Fusion 360. I found this video and this one as well handy in working out how such junctions are performed. I don't know if Creo has similar functions, but the modeling philosophy may be similar enough to translate between the two.