5-String Aria Pro II SB1000/R150-ish bass

9 hours ago, Prostheta said:

From what I remember, isn't obsidian glass the same with fracture planes in one dimension through the crystal?

😬 Well, that goes over my head. I do know that obsidian edges are one of if not the sharpest edge known to man. Surgeons still use flakes mounted in a clamp. I've read that they can cut cells in two, and reduce scarring.

10 hours ago, komodo said:

😬 Well, that goes over my head. I do know that obsidian edges are one of if not the sharpest edge known to man. Surgeons still use flakes mounted in a clamp. I've read that they can cut cells in two, and reduce scarring.

Former geologist here.  Obsidian in not crystalline.  It is the nature of the silica bond that allows for such a sharp and fairly durable edge.  

• Like 1

As somebody who loves knowledge and geeks out on subjects, this makes my morning coffee that much more fun. I also came across references to pre-Inca civilisation brain surgery being more successful than that until the 20th century, mostly down to quality of work and infection prevention, coupled with the use of Obsidian implements. Mesoamerican and south American civilisations were amazingly advanced and so under-represented in the human timeline.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Just finishing up the electronics and rear control plates (hence the peeking blue tape). Nobody gets to mention the wonky 7th fret under threat of floating home, kid. Plays really nicely, the active electronics make the fundamental very detailed rather than flabby. Currently figuring out whether I want to have a single switch for the varitone in/out or an additional one for series/parallel, coil cut, etc. This is a lot of bass.

IMG20220416091257.jpg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Nice!

Good to see a conclusion to one of your builds!:)

SR

I know right? I feel so weird in that I enjoy the process of design/development/problem-solving more than the end result. I just need to locate some good quality axial capacitors for the rotary tone filter in the right range. It works with that in isolation, and boy does "work" feel like an understatement.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I haven't yet, no. The bass is functionally complete and plays really nicely. I haven't posted finished pics yet as I need to locate some set screws of the correct length for the custom control knobs, plus the brass rear cavity covers need brushing and sealing with shellac or lacquer. The electronics are complete other than the rotary varitone, which is proving a conundrum as usual. The objective with that is to neatly stack the components around the switch body so that it is both aesthetically pleasing, neat and well-made. The originals in the Aria Pro II basses were good, if a little precarious. The modern reissue SB-1000 basses have varitones that are less than ideal in many respects, so I really wanted to priorities making everything as good as it could ever have been.

I will follow up, as I want to GOTM this bass.