Mahogany stools

Better photos:

IMG_20200603_095630.jpg

IMG_20200603_095713.jpg

Even though the design is relatively simple, some of the details were a trick. Each side is raked 2,5 degrees from the vertical, so the ends of the upper and lower rails need to be cut cleanly and accurately to that so as not to be gappy. The raised cloud lift detail of the upper rail required 3mm of material to be cut from the entire face of the component. It seems a simple operation, but without the right approach can look sloppy. The same applies to the ends of the legs (both with compound 2,5/2,5 degree faces) where the 19mm upper radii blends out from the corners. With it not being 90 degrees, it can't be done as a simple roundover. The diagonal braces supporting the seat inside the frame are also cut with compoung 45/2,5 degree ends to be gap-free.

I enjoy making these sorts of things to practice precision and problem-solving. I think if I do get the chance to make another, some sort of cutout with leather padding and lower bout supports for a guitar would be very cool. Hell, I think the number of people that own guitars these days (especially in Finland) would appreciate this sort of functional furniture.

• Like 4