Finished! A Guitar Bouzouki (don't you know what one of THOSE is?)

Of course! I don't think that I could adapt my thinking to work any other way....I've been watching Andy's work develop for a while because acoustics are one of those things you could spend a lifetime developing yourself with, and still have a million miles to go when you're grey and shaking sticks at "these bloody kids, they know nothing". I doubt that I could overcome the degree of hands-on experience one needs with acoustics just by throwing drawings at them, however I'm certain it helps! Engineering with fuzzier organic edges and expected levels of fractious tolerance? Andy seems to have found a great stride with his acoustics, and it is 100% inspiring.

I do think that I have to challenge myself with an acoustic or carved archtop. Voicing alone is something that I really think I'd enjoy, purely since you can't draw it. You have to get in there and see what you can take with what you're given. That has a beauty I can appreciate. Regardless, it would have to start with a drawing 😄

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Andy seems to have found a great stride with his acoustics, and it is 100% inspiring.

For sure!

I'm not sure I'll be following him into the acoustic world anytime soon. All those thin little pieces of wood are surely very unforgiving, and something about bending them intimidates me. I do find find the idea of something like @mattharris75's mandol0 quite intriguing though.. There's a lot of room for freedom of expression with the shape and the carved top and back are very appealing. There is still some side bending involved though....

SR

I recall a large number of years back, one of our members built a multiscale 8-string acoustic and that truly stuck in my mind and fermented a little. I think a 7-string with a milder multiscale, using the altered geometry and extending out what it implies to the rest of the design is deeply appealing. Obviously, the key word here is geometry....that has me mentally knotted up from the get go. Building a successful instrument around this specification as a first acoustic though, I'm not 100% confident that it's the best idea. Still, it's definitely an idea.

I'd say "race you to it" Scott, however I'm sure that by the time I'd crossed the line you'd have three GOTMs and another GOTY under your belt before I tipped the glass over my head.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

All those thin little pieces of wood are surely very unforgiving, and something about bending them intimidates me

Talking of which...do you remember my first rig for bending (a good few years ago now)? :

IMG_2674.thumb.JPG.50dc336ffd117b88cd0a111fa11d064d.JPG

A gas blowlamp firing down an open-ended tube that one had to lean close to in order to bend the wood over.

Two lessons learnt from this:

- it's difficult to see what's happening to the wood with the smoke from your jacket constantly wafting up from your chest

- it's remarkable just how quickly you can get a jacket and a shirt off when they are on fire

Don't be inhibited by bending wood.  It's the third degree burns that you should be worried about.

:) 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Talking of which...do you remember my first rig for bending (a good few years ago now)? :

I do indeed. I'm trying to make myself say and it looks so innocent sitting there. But it doesn't. It looks like it's locked and loaded and willing to set you on fire.

SR

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, ScottR said:

For sure!

I'm not sure I'll be following him into the acoustic world anytime soon. All those thin little pieces of wood are surely very unforgiving, and something about bending them intimidates me. I do find find the idea of something like @mattharris75's mandol0 quite intriguing though.. There's a lot of room for freedom of expression with the shape and the carved top and back are very appealing. There is still some side bending involved though....

SR

Side bending is cake compared to some of the stuff you've done, Scott! I'd love to see your take on a carved acoustic instrument of some sort, get going!

• Like 3

Been following this one closely the whole time. What a lovely instrument, great job Andy! And the sound awesome :D 

For some reason I feel like this is to a guitar what a harpsichord is to a piano. Sounds really renaissance, love it!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gogzs said:

Been following this one closely the whole time. What a lovely instrument, great job Andy! And the sound awesome :D 

For some reason I feel like this is to a guitar what a harpsichord is to a piano. Sounds really renaissance, love it!

Many thanks!

And yes - I know exactly what you mean.  It's a good analogy.

P picked it up yesterday - happily, he was delighted with it :)  Phew!  

He also let me record him playing it - I'll post the clip shortly.

• Like 2

That's amazing. It may be what is being played, but its like you can simultaneously hear a mandolin, a banjo, a harpsichord, a fiddle (even), a 12 string guitar and a really nice acoustic guitar all at the exact same time. Sweet.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, komodo said:

That's amazing. It may be what is being played, but its like you can simultaneously hear a mandolin, a banjo, a harpsichord, a fiddle (even), a 12 string guitar and a really nice acoustic guitar all at the exact same time. Sweet.

I have to say that, if I hadn't been there watching him playing it, I'd have said it was two instruments.  Great playing by P

• Like 1