Strat style output jack on side?

JayT

9 hours ago, curtisa said:

My only caveat would be that whatever surface you mount it to probably needs to be (nearly) flat.

That can be addressed by inlaying it. Only the very tightest curves might be problematic - like on a Strat body the location of a Tele jack. Also, on a Tele there's a flat spot for the jack so depending on the design that might as well be an option.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

That can be addressed by inlaying it.

Good idea!

Last night I did a deep search this and found a pretty cool implementation of this by Stephen Strahm Guitars out of California. Doing an image search I found an old Facebook post from 2012 mentioning it and then followed that to some pics deep in his gallery (on a guitar style he may not even build anymore - looks like mostly focusing on acoustics.)

385237940_ScreenShot2020-06-18at2_56_50PM.thumb.png.e6d9838498e707bb144b3dbe9d4696fd.png

While this is way cool, probably beyond by carving skills. I'm thinking of something more flush. But now I have something to strive for :)

EDIT: Also this PG thread had some good information as well!

Edited by JayT

5 hours ago, soapbarstrat said:

Pretty sure I just recently saw one on the side of a Gordon Smith Les Paul where it was slightly curved. Now, did they bend that curve into a stock Strat jack plate? I’d like to know.

Wow, now here is a blast from the past!

Good to here from you again man. I would inset it like I've done with tele plates on carved tops.....but I see @JayT has already come across that concept.

SR

5 hours ago, JayT said:

While this is way cool, probably beyond by carving skills. I'm thinking of something more flush.

Don't be too shy! The top left one is super easy, the edge is flattened and the plate slightly recessed. How to: 1) Attach the plate. 2) Draw the outlines deep enough with a pointy Xacto knife. 3) Remove the plate and use a chisel to remove some wood from under the plate. Note that the plate will hide all mistakes! 4) If your knife slips, bevel the edges slightly with a small piece of sandpaper!

Agreed, the bottom right one is more challenging. Basically similar to the other one but getting the cavity just right can be a nightmare without a good jig and template.

Funny aside, the ideas just popped into my mind, I've never heard about or seen them done that way!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 6/18/2020 at 1:35 PM, JayT said:

Has anyone ever seen a Strat style output installed on the side of the body rather than on top? Any practical reasons this wouldn't work if in the right spot?

Yes I've seen it. I picked up a strange guitar at an estate sale about 15-20 years ago that has a cast metal plate that covers the knob cavity. This plate has a Fender Stratocaster style jack plate molded into it. I've been wondering what this guitar is since I bought it. The fender style Telecaster neck has been sanded down so there's no brand on it. It has tuners marked "Fender Japan" and has a black letter T on the back of the neck where it bolts on. It has active EMG pickups but I think the previous owner tried to maybe add them. These pickups are not fully mounted and are not wired up properly to work. The body must be either Bondo or solid fiberglass because it's very heavy. Someday someone will solve this cast back plate mystery for me.