I present to you... the tapermatic 5000 tm

mistermikev

so this is a jig I built for adding a taper to my stock for a lam neck.  Haven't sent her thru yet, and admittedly nervous about sending metal thru a planer.  test me?  have I thought of everything?  well I have some lock nuts on the bolts that are holding down force on the top board... so that should they vibrate the bolts won't end up dropping down into the planer. 

Just have the pieces secured with a big long strip of carpet tape.  I think once the down force has 'em they aren't going to move anyway but side to side anyway.

thoughts?DSCN4338.thumb.JPG.7f5476b165dda8472f6a4181e7d4f53b.JPGDSCN4342.thumb.JPG.068b0839f78507f9351052a142e6a222.JPGDSCN4341.thumb.JPG.a32c9338adf36121d5862d1fbaafaf79.JPGDSCN4340.thumb.JPG.d2a1fd235ac4526d58fb5ac114acef4f.JPGDSCN4339.thumb.JPG.403332a35b5f3fb481896fe080d53cd0.JPG

i mike v being of sound body and mind hereby admit my last will and testament...

That looks solid.

However, if I read the picture right, do the long bolts secured with nyloc nuts roll freely? If so, a pair of nuts to stop the bolts from screwing through the T-nuts might be recommendable:

Sieppaa.JPG.694b03e8629661c4e4ff619b590251c7.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

That looks solid.

However, if I read the picture right, do the long bolts secured with nyloc nuts roll freely? If so, a pair of nuts to stop the bolts from screwing through the T-nuts might be recommendable:

Sieppaa.JPG.694b03e8629661c4e4ff619b590251c7.JPG

thanks for the reply biz.  yes they turn freely but there is a fair amount of resistance on them.  I could tighten up the lock nuts and that would prevent.  also thought about adding lock nuts to the 4 height bolts to prevent vibrations from spinning them.  again, there is some resistance there so I don't think it will but better safe than sorry. 

Yet another question about the same bolts: Are they for adjusting the height of the upper board? If so, the T-nuts are on the wrong side as pressure can push them off the board.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2020 at 8:17 AM, Bizman62 said:

Yet another question about the same bolts: Are they for adjusting the height of the upper board? If so, the T-nuts are on the wrong side as pressure can push them off the board.

no, they are for counter pressure against two bolts sitting about an inch back from those that are pushing up on the angled board.  there are two more at approx center board to keep things from bowing. 

fwiw I ran it thru it's maiden voyage... worked very well.  I am going to add additional lock nuts to the height adjust bolts at end and center just to lock them in better but I didn't have any problems.  here's the result:

DSCN4343.thumb.JPG.e1c720be6037bc59d35dc8e335e15fc7.JPG

not sure if the seperation there at the end is from the wood 'moving' as it was just cut... or if I had a subtle amount of bow in my jig... but I can clamp it all closed just using my hands so... should be good.

4 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

they are for counter pressure against two bolts sitting about an inch back from those that are pushing up

Ahh, good to know. I saw the other bolts as well but didn't know which way they worked.

We're going to see some spectacular necks pretty soon, aren't we?

1 minute ago, Bizman62 said:

Ahh, good to know. I saw the other bolts as well but didn't know which way they worked.

We're going to see some spectacular necks pretty soon, aren't we?

pretty soon?  spectacular?  no, you are going to see some mediocre necks a long time from now! 

this is really something I built just for this project but should come in use if I build more multilam basses in the future.  also... kind of just wanted to 'do it' for the adventure.   I appreciate your input on it biz.