The Trajic Love Life of Wally the Walnut Gnome....or Wally really needs a girlfriend.

ScottR

7 hours ago, ScottR said:

and no saunas here

For a guy with your woodworking skills building one should be a no-brainer. Or a sweat lodge which is basically the same thing. Funny how white immigrants didn't adopt that from native Texans...

• Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 9:36 PM, Prostheta said:

You've braved that Oak like a champ. It's unforgiving to say the least.

Live Oak is supposed to be the densest of the species. Lord know it has been work and a test of patience.

I'd call her 70% done.

This is actually my first chance to get online, since last Sunday. The weather has created power and internet outages across the state lasting for days.....and counting.

SR

On 2/16/2021 at 1:15 AM, Bizman62 said:

For a guy with your woodworking skills building one should be a no-brainer. Or a sweat lodge which is basically the same thing. Funny how white immigrants didn't adopt that from native Texans...

I think that was more common to natives in the northern half of the country. (I could be wrong there. I do know it was common in the northern half but don't know that it wasn't practiced by Apaches, Comanches, and Kiowas). In Texas one can normally sweat all he wants by walking out the door. It is not the same as a sauna, but it surely dampens the desire to sweat more. :)

SR

27 minutes ago, ScottR said:

In Texas one can normally sweat all he wants by walking out the door. It is not the same as a sauna, but it surely dampens the desire to sweat more.

You think so? The first thing a group of Finns do when they stay longer anywhere is to build a sauna. There has been UN Blue Berets from Finland in several African countries near the Equator which I believe are as hot as Texas. For what I've heard a sauna has been a must. After having sat in 80 C/176 F for an hour the outside temperature may feel refreshingly cool!

I've heard that the habit of drinking hot tea has a similar effect.

On 2/18/2021 at 9:36 AM, Bizman62 said:

several African countries near the Equator which I believe are as hot as Texas.

I believe you are correct on that one!

On 2/18/2021 at 9:36 AM, Bizman62 said:

After having sat in 80 C/176 F for an hour the outside temperature may feel refreshingly cool!

I can see that. I'd never get my wife to put the theory to the test. I follow the same logic with hot showers on hot days. She refuses. She can't stand to be hot. Not even when it is freezing like now. Luke warm shower is as far as she will go.

SR

Talking of which, Friday evening sauna is up to temp. Beer is equally down to temp. Hard week of designing, fabricating and polishing Corian work surfaces, handwash stations and other stuff for the next Costa ship out of Turku. It's been a dusty but productive week.

Yep, 80°C sauna is better than a 70°C "warm dark corner". 90°C gets a bit harsh with heavy löyly, but at least there's more oxygen in the air!

1 minute ago, ScottR said:

I'm pretty sure a sauna would have me hunting a beer as well.

A cold beer just after having thrown water on the hot stones... Mmm-mm!

There used to be an American columnistess writing in English in the local newspaper. As she was married with a Finn she of course had to have got accustomed to the sauna. Her mother-in-law had told her the difference between steam and "löyly" which is the word for the effect of throwing water on hot stones: Steam can be seen, "löyly" can't be seen. The stove is not hot enough if you see steam.

The most ghetto sauna I've ever built was the cover of my igloo tent. I first built a makeshift stove out of stones laid on a flat area on the rock. After the stones had got hot I flushed the ember and raised the floorless tent over the heap of stones. An upside down bucket served as a stool. For more frequent use I was planning a steel basket for the stones but then I got married...

1 hour ago, mistermikev said:

well... if it's anything like my wife... must of set  you back nice carved top... or at least a new fancy set of tuning machines (yes, that how I measure money now!).

Everything for females is more expensive. And given that the love of shopping is a feminine trait......I smell a conspiracy here.

SR

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Everything for females is more expensive. And given that the love of shopping is a feminine trait......I smell a conspiracy here.

SR

and I'm told the problem is even worse with gnome women... they are notorious shoppers/spenders.  always gotta have fancy hair and the best of the best... so high maintenance!!

1 hour ago, mistermikev said:

and I'm told the problem is even worse with gnome women... they are notorious shoppers/spenders.  always gotta have fancy hair and the best of the best... so high maintenance!!

Wally best be careful of what he asks for....he may just get it.

SR

• Haha 2

I grew up in Minnesota, and saunas were pretty common. Very large Scandinavian population there.
Similar to your saunas on hot days, we would eat ice cream on cold days. Actually makes you feel warmer.

• 3 weeks later...

Annie's been getting smoothed out.

Now it's time to bring those boots down a half dozen sizes.

DSC03399.JPG

Working on that particular boot caused it to break again....probably for the forth time. The last time I cut across the bottom of that foot and glued in a no=arrow spline of jatoba. Super hard and tough wood....but brittle. It broke too. So I cut a wider spline of red oak. Oak is known for its strength. This time it worked like a champ.. I put quite a bit of pressure on it today shaping that boot and it straight up felt solid.

DSC03400.JPGDSC03402.JPGDSC03403.JPGDSC03404.JPG

SR