The Trajic Love Life of Wally the Walnut Gnome....or Wally really needs a girlfriend.

ScottR

21 hours ago, MiKro said:

@ScottR, happy that the cataract surgery has helped you. It made a big difference for me. :)

MK

P.S. and Fanny Mae or what ever you are calling her is looking great. :)

Thanks Mike,

It's great so far. The acuity will continue to sharpen as they heal, but already the difference between what I see and what I used to (not) see is amazing!

And she is called Annie (oak), and Wally hopes she continues to look good. He's a little gun shy this time around.

SR

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ScottR said:

Is that more of that British humor that Yanks have no reference for again?

Nevermind--I get it. Synapses are sluggish this morning.:P

SR

Lose your sight, and you get a white stick to walk with. Plus, a bonus guide dog (seeing eye dog?). Free.

The joke is, lose your sight....bummer....but, free dog!

On 7/27/2020 at 2:39 AM, ScottR said:

I've been listening to this song/cd pretty steadily since it came out in May.

great album and songs! Went to see Jason Isbell after the previous album, Something more than Free, great artist.

Nice craftmanship you're showing here @ScottR

19 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Lose your sight, and you get a white stick to walk with. Plus, a bonus guide dog (seeing eye dog?). Free.

The joke is, lose your sight....bummer....but, free dog!

It took a while, but I got there.

The white stick threw me, I kept wanting to tie it to the oak I was carving.  Then the free dog made me think of a dog on a stick....lit a corn dog or a weenie roast.

:blink:

SR

8 hours ago, 10pizza said:

great album and songs! Went to see Jason Isbell after the previous album, Something more than Free, great artist.

Nice craftmanship you're showing here @ScottR

Thank you sir.

You're making me jealous. I didn't learn about Isbell in any depth until the end of last year. Since then I've soaked up all his music like a sponge....but the world has conspired to keep most touring musicians at home. So I'm still waiting for my first show.

SR

More construction by reduction.

We've got hardwood cabinetry with solid oak knobs!

DSC03203.JPG

I didn't know that when you rough in the boobs on an oaken prairie gnome, it ends up looking like she's walking around with a rottweiler scrotum around her neck. Wally said he didn't know that either and thanked me all to hell for a mental image that's going to keep him up for weeks.

DSC03204.JPG

I told him that voyeurs didn't get to complain about anything they see.

Didn't he remember what happened last time?

DSC03205.JPGDSC03206.JPGDSC03207.JPGDSC03208.JPGDSC03209.JPG

SR

On 7/30/2020 at 2:12 AM, 10pizza said:

I forgot to ask you something 10P.

Was Amanda there?

I'm posting this one because there are two songs that I always repeat whenever I play Jason. The first one I posted- Overseas- and this one. Plus this was recorded live at Austin City Limits and they always do it right. And I love the tone of his Dusenberg.

And, well, Amanda.

SR

• Like 1

they did play this song if I recollect correctly, but Amanda was not with him on that occasion. Still a great show though!

He did play the same Duesenberg guitar 😉

the opener that night was John Moreland. Also a guy to check out. Amazing voice.

• Like 1

Gosh, @ScottR

I remember as a schoolboy in a science lesson where we watched, in a photographic darkroom, the image of a photograph emerging on what seemed to be a sheet of white, lifeless paper in the developer tray.  There was something magical that something could just emerge from nothing. 

And then, similarly, at University where there was a department that was a leading research centre for the development of holography.  Again, in a dimmed room there, in front of me was a child's toy fairground set lit up in red.  And I could look round things and behind things and walk round it.  'OK,' I said to my research student flatmate, 'what's the thing you've been working on?'

'This,' he said.  'It isn't real.' 

Get the drift....? 

• Like 1

I think what you've described is how these things are both the difference and the relationship between sense and sensibility. Holography has the ability to have one's senses fed, manipulated and tricked into aesthetic feeling whilst sculpture is a deep dive into the sense of the medium one is working within. I'm probably a little off the mark and bordering into absolute pretense here, so bear with me. I mean well, honestly.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Get the drift....? 

Indeed. This is going to take a lot longer than it took for that picture to develop.....

4 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

at University where there was a department that was a leading research centre for the development of holography

Now that I would find fascinating. Those things have always intrigued me. And the fact that are not real is one of the most captivating aspects.

SR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

I think what you've described is how these things are both the difference and the relationship between sense and sensibility. Holography has the ability to have one's senses fed, manipulated and tricked into aesthetic feeling whilst sculpture is a deep dive into the sense of the medium one is working within. I'm probably a little off the mark and bordering into absolute pretense here, so bear with me. I mean well, honestly.

That's actually pretty astute.

SR

• Like 1

On 8/4/2020 at 6:32 AM, Andyjr1515 said:

the image of a photograph emerging on what seemed to be a sheet of white, lifeless paper in the developer tray. 

I don't know if this qualifies as a bit more development or just removing more of the not Annie parts.....

DSC03210.JPGDSC03212.JPGDSC03213.JPGDSC03214.JPGDSC03215.JPG

SR

• Like 2

On 8/2/2020 at 11:25 PM, ScottR said:

I didn't know that when you rough in the boobs on an oaken prairie gnome, it ends up looking like she's walking around with a rottweiler scrotum around her neck

That made me giggle :D

I know what you mean with the eyesight. In the last few years I've gone from perfect vision to not being able to read anything within arms length. Getting old I suppose, and helped along by a bit of macular degeneration. Thank goodness for my magnifying goggles - bought by my wife as a bit of a joke, but turned out to be THE BEST present ever

I've not been on for a few weeks, not having a build in progress, but this was the first thread I headed for. Lovely to see her... erm... grow. You're taking wood away, yet certain parts of her seem to have getting bigger! Lovely work. Wally is going to be very happy if she's as nice on the inside :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Norris said:

That made me giggle :D

I know what you mean with the eyesight. In the last few years I've gone from perfect vision to not being able to read anything within arms length. Getting old I suppose, and helped along by a bit of macular degeneration. Thank goodness for my magnifying goggles - bought by my wife as a bit of a joke, but turned out to be THE BEST present ever

I've not been on for a few weeks, not having a build in progress, but this was the first thread I headed for. Lovely to see her... erm... grow. You're taking wood away, yet certain parts of her seem to have getting bigger! Lovely work. Wally is going to be very happy if she's as nice on the inside :)

You're not getting older, like me, you just need longer arms. :)

Ron

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Norris said:

You're taking wood away, yet certain parts of her seem to have getting bigger!

Two old cliches seem appropriate to describe what you are seeing.

It's all a matter or perspective, and everything is relative. From the neck down her breastworks will appear massive. From the waist up, somewhat more modest....but hopefully nicely formed.:)

SR

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RonMay said:

I too have searched throughout the interweb with no luck. A lot of shoe and hat stretchers though.

Way back when I was in high school, I worked in a grocery store in a strip mall. One day during the first week, they sent me down to a store a couple of places down to ask them if we could borrow their "shelf stretcher". They told me they had loaned it to the next store down....which of course had loaned it to the next store down. And so it went down to the last store in the line. They told me they had returned it to the grocery store last week.

At least these days we have the internet, and can get the runaround from the comfort of our own Lazyboy recliners.

SR

ScottR

Yeah, it's common to play one on the newbie.

I worked in a machine shop for a number of years and my favorite "hunt" was asking the new shaving puller (helper) to find me a metric crescent wrench. It's really hard to do that with a straight face. The rest of the shop was in on it as well and , like you, sent him from one machinist to another to one department to another only to find that there was no such thing. Most of them laughed it off , but a few kinda got irate. Oh, well. :)