Reconditioning a scroll saw

Workingman

Being back on the forum, and up in Vermont with a garage instead of in an apartment in Brooklyn, has given me the build urge again.  I am considering a lap steel for a first go at it.  I have mentioned that most of my tools were stolen about four years ago.  A friend gave me some tools including a pretty nice scroll saw which worked at the time.  I went to fire it up today and it appears to be frozen.  Any thoughts on how best to proceed would be appreciated.  My usual approach is take things apart and put them back together and curse a lot when I lose parts or it still doesn't work.   

That's my usual approach too. I had a friend tell me just last week that he lined up the parts he takes  out, and then puts them back in the reverse order.

I haven't messed scroll saws enough to be much help, but I do recall that Drak used one to cut out his guitar bodies.

A lap steel sounds cool. I hope you get to do it.

SR

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ScottR said:

he lined up the parts he takes  out, and then puts them back in the reverse order.

I've done that too with laptops. In the modern era we live in, a smart phone camera can also help a lot!

• Like 1