Pickup configuration.

Snork

There's a DaveG here now? We've got a DaveK, me, and a DaveG - oh boy - maybe I'll change my name - this is getting confusing.

Anyway, I have used the EXG in one of my guitars in the past and I didn't like it at all. Anytime I went off of 0, the sound went very muddy. I used it with a 81 bridge and 85 neck. I took it out and would be willing to sell it if anyone wants one.

From the description, I thought that it would help scoop the EQ a bit and give me a fatter sound but for whatever reason, it just didn't sound great to me. Maybe it's just me - I'm pretty picky about the the lower EQ settings on my stuff.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought it was a 'G'! My baddd...

I am now aware of DaveQ! :D

Dave, I read your post about not liking the EXG before, I knew you felt that way, but I really love 'em.

But I only use them when playing clean with no overdrive, ala clean Fender-tone, they don't work well under high-gain settings that I've found. Under that condition, you're right, it doesn't sound good at all.

But for clean, man they rock. Also, I don't always turn it up all the way, I use the control very judiciously, just a little goes a long way, sometimes turning it up all the way makes the bottom too boomy on one or two of my guitars that have it.

That's why when I use it, I have the A-burner turned off, and when I use the A-burner, the EXG gets turned off, they don't go well together, but using each one properly by itself under the right conditions will get tremendous versatility in tone from one guitar.

so you really shouldn't put an emg with passive pickups? My brother was looking into an 81 or 85 for his guitar, but he didn't want to change the SC's because he doesn't use them that much. Also, I know another kid that has an 81 with two passive SC's and it seems fine.

Can I mix EMG's with passive pickups?

It is possible to mix EMG's with passive pickups. There are three possible wiring configurations; one is better than the other two.

Use the high impedance (250K-500K) volume and tone controls. The problem is that the high impedance controls act more like a switch to the EMG's. The passive pickups, however, will work fine. If you have a guitar with two pickups and two volume pots, with a three-way switch, there is another alternative. Use the 25K pots for the EMG, and the 250K pots for the passive pickup. This way you can use one or the other with no adverse affects, but with the switch in the middle position the passive pickup will have reduced gain and response.

Use the low-impedance (25K) volume and tone controls provided with the EMG's. The problem here is that the passive pickups will suffer a reduction in gain and loss of high-frequency response.

This is the best alternative. Install an EMG-PA-2 on the passive pickups. There are two benefits to doing this. With the trimpot on the PA-2, you can adjust the gain of the passive pickups to match the EMG's. The PA-2 acts as an impedance matching device so you can use the low-impedance EMG controls (25K) without affecting the tone of the passive pickups. You will also be able to use other EMG accessory circuits such as the SPC, RPC, EXB, EXG, etc. For this application, we recommend ordering the PA-2 without the switch for easy installation on the inside of a guitar.

actually how would hte Dimarzio FRED fare in this kind of a situation?

my shredder friend reccomended them to me because satch uses them and he's dying for one...

Drak is this too hot of a pickup? i was listening to the tone... and i'm just not sure! would it be better than the jazz?

I thought you were originally using a HB/SC/HB setup. :D

Now you're into a Superstrat thing?

Jazz at bridge? = no way, you're a :D METALHEAD :D

B):DB)

OK, let's back up a bit and decide what you want.

If you want the Fender quack-tone, which the EXG enhances well, then you need to use the same pkp in the neck and middle positions to get your 'cluck' going. Since you lean to heavy music, I would use the Hot Golds, they should be just fine for your clean stuff too and will blend well with bridge HB.

If you decide to use the Hot Golds for neck/mids, then why not use a Lace Sensor Dually for the bridge? Then the guitar will 'look' correct also. They make the dually a few different ways, I'd ask Mark M. which would be best, he will know for sure. The dually does take a slightly different route pattern than a normal HB, but you can handle it. I think you'd really like that setup. Listen to Mark's MP3's if you need any convincing B)

I would get along well with Holy Grails, but I would really recommend the Hot Golds for you, trust me here... B)

But it's up to you. I think Mark's all-time favorite setup is his HB/SC/HB using Dually's and a Hot Gold with lots of switching options, I think he's got like 17 options.

I'm not so much into so many switching options, but it's your guitar, and I know a lot of guys on their first guitar want a LOT of options, so Mark's setup might be of interest to you.

Just tossing out ideas.

Will I still be able to get all those tones you were talking about if i add the afterburner? and the Im looking for a big pallate and i know im a jerk for asking you so many questions and changing my mind so much. but im a newb with p/us and i am nearing completion so im getting a little excited! thanks for everything.

Thanks Again,

Sam Fisher

do you think ill be able to have that great clean? I know ill get the drive but i dont know about the clean!

BTW i listened to the clips thats why im so drawn to the quack of the holy grails!

Ill post pics soon of the glued and routed body. plus my totally kickin' electronic covers made out of flamed maple.

thanks everyone! your helping my guitar come along!

Will I still be able to get all those tones you were talking about if i add the afterburner?

More. Mark doesn't use an A-burner. But his amp is hot-modded.

You'll be in option heaven. :D

and the Im looking for a big pallate and i know im a jerk for asking you so many questions and changing my mind so much. but im a newb with p/us and i am nearing completion so im getting a little excited! thanks for everything.

Thanks Again,

Sam Fisher

We are here to answer questions, doesn't bother me in the slightest.

do you think ill be able to have that great clean? I know ill get the drive but i dont know about the clean!

Yes. I trust Mark's opinions, and he said the Hot Golds will do clean very well. They will just be a tad warmer than the Holy Grails, (which would probably be more 'crystal' clean), I think you'd want the 'warmer' clean sound, and the Hot Golds boosted with the A-burner I think will react with the A-burner better than the Holy Grails would. If you were going with the EXG, then I think definitely the Hot Golds will be clean enough for you. No doubt about it.

I still recommend you get the Hot Golds, not the Holy Grails.

BTW i listened to the clips thats why im so drawn to the quack of the holy grails!

Well, it IS your call, if you want Holy Grails, get them. I think the Hot Golds will be the better option for you, but it's your guitar, nobody knows you like you do.

It's like this: you have to give up something to get something else. You get Holy Grails, you get great quack, but lose a bit of midrange warmth. You get Hot Golds, you get better warmth and hotter overdrive, you give up some crystal clean. You have to 'make the call'...

If you have decided on Lace Sensors at least, then e-mail Don Mare, he created these models and loves to talk about them, he'll give you good information.

I think you can reach him directly from Lace's website. I can find him if you can't. I know a few other forums he hangs out on.

Between Mark and Don, you'll have your answers. Both are accessable, but be sure you want Lace Sensors before you hit them with questions. Do your narrowing here so-to-speak. If you wanted Lawrences, then call Bill Lawrence.

You diggin' me?

By the way, another 'Superstrat' setup option would be the Steve Lukather EMG pickup set.

SV/SV/85. The SV's are single coils. Warmer than the SA's. I get tremendously good clean tones with it.

I'm running that with:

1) Normal EMG volume pot

2) EXG tone pot

3) SPC tone pot

4) Afterburner pre-amp

Basically, it's a Luke pkp set with Gilmore electronics and an Afterburner tagged on to it at the end.

It's a great setup too, and it has it's advantages and disadvantages over the others.

1) More expensive (probably)

2) Dead-Quiet. Remember, the Lace Sensors are close to noiseless, but not 100%. The EMG's are noiseless.

3) They're all black, they will look like a typical EMG setup, and you like EMG's.

You have to be a bit careful when running a rig like that tho, the 85 is already hot by itself. Tag on the SPC which has additional gain, and the Afterburner too (even more gain), it'll drive the front-end of an amp into oblivion (!), but it can play hell on effects, too much gain hitting the front end of some effects sounds like crap.

But my overall intention is to use minimal (if any) stompboxes, all my 'gimmicks' are already on-board, save a wah or chorus, which I'd play with minimal gain coming out of the guitar anyway (all the goodies are turned down to some extent) so it works for me.

That's a helluva lot of diversity coming out of one guitar, it's like driving a Viper around town, there's more under the hood than you'd normally need, but it's there when you need/want it...you can't always open it up, you use these controls with common-sense and judiciousness, and you'll get tons of tone out of it. You don't just turn everything up to 10 running a rig like that. B)

Ill post pics soon of the glued and routed body. plus my totally kickin' electronic covers made out of flamed maple.

thanks everyone! your helping my guitar come along!

listen to pink floyd...

interesting, can u suggest any particular pink floyd song(or album) that i could download(i dont have any pink floyd albums :D ) that the sa`s are used on

thanks,

john

i believe "the division bell" is one

i am really not all that familiar with pink floyd's newer work...but anyway

NAH! that is a SWELL idea! lol. do you think the duallys have the same sound as the single coils? and what about those chrome tops.... decent sounding?

Well, I believe the dually's ARE 2 SC's bound together, that's why they take a slightly different route than a normal HB, and that's why they sound so good when split, as opposed to normal HB's that sound y-u-k when coils are split.

That's what a dually is...2 SC's bound together in a HB form that can be split and wired with options to your HG's.

So you're going SC/SC/HB then, not HB/SC/HB?

Once you really decide on that issue, and you're set on Lace Sensors, no switching back, you should go to Mark M. to ask him which Dually he would recommend. And I would get whatever he recommends, I trust Mark's input and opinions. Hell, he's tried all of them. :D

They make several different Dually's, using different SC models combined, like a Hot Gold and a Holy Grail...or something along those lines...Like I said, I'm just passing that information along, I haven't yet tried them myself and am no expert on them. That's why I would recommend talking to Mark and Don, those two are Lace trippin'. B)

...Don't tell him your guitar weighs 17 lbs tho... :D

PS, just so you know...the PA-2 is the Afterburner in mini-toggle form. I like the variable aspect of having it on a pot, but if you don't, you can use the PA-2, it goes from 100% unboosted to 100% boost at the single flick of the mini-toggle, or you can set the mini-trim pot inside to whatever amount of gain you prefer. The PA-2 takes up less space on the top of the guitar. Just letting you know.

thanks drak. No i am going with your suggestion. i too respect marks opinion.. that guy is a BLUES RIPPER! hes wicked! i've listened to all of his clips. they kick arse! Do you have his email adress or im thingies or whatever? thanks drak and i wont tell him it weighs 17 lbs..lmao total sustain box!

thanks,

Sam

Hey Snorkie...Mark answered my e-mail in reguards to your Dually selection, here's his reply...

"As far as which Dually to put on the bridge... If he is really wanting to get the fat, hi-output tone similar to the EMG's and along the lines of early Van Halen and early Gary Moore, the 13.2k Hot Gold Dually is really good for that. The 6k Dually has a much brighter and "compact" tone more like Jeff Beck. It has a lot of unique character, but the output is less than PAF so it's not even the least bit fat unless you really layer-on the distortion with a pedal. It is very versatile with a coil splitter switch though. Both modes are really useful."