Products to bleach wood?

I've got the same problem, I live in the Netherlands and I want to bleach mahogany but can't find the stuff.

I e-mailed Rustin in england for info about their wood bleach product but they won't ship it to Holland and don't have distributors here either.

I found on the net info on those A/B solutions they are:

solution 1: Sodium Hydroxide

solution 2: Hydrogen Peroxide

The guy at the paint shop in my area told me to look for those products at an Apotheek!

So anyway, i'll try to find those things and try it on scrap wood first.

If you find anything in Germany , please post it so I can check it out too.

Just a crazy idea, might well be I'm talking from deep within my rectum, but isn't hydrogen peroxide the (or onf of the) agent(s) used in hair bleaching products? Or was at least used in those some time back? from what I hear, nowadays bleachers are supposed to be more sensitive, but I don't really buy it, you need a structural pigment change and therefor you need agressive chemicals, so it might be a good idea to ask your hairstylist for bleach and try that?

Btw, Marcel, what brands for wood dyes do you know in Germany? Xyladecor only has a pretty limited color supply as it seems and I don't know if the color I want to achieve is within their spectrum. Thinking about it, maybe we should start a special thread for the continental European guys about brands, resources and stores/companies?

so long

ace

Thanks for your answers.

@Phil: I found several internet sites recommending to mix Hydrogen Peroxide with something called "Salmiakgeist" here in Germany and using this mixture to bleach wood. I guess if I find nothing else I'll just buy that stuff and try it on scrap wood.

If I find something interesting I will post it here for you to know.

Btw, Marcel, what brands for wood dyes do you know in Germany?

Sorry I cannot help you here. I ordered all my dyes from LMII in addition to some fingerboards I bought from them. But your idea with hydrogen peroxide definately has to be checked out....

P.s.: I vote for the European thread....:D

Greets,

MK!

Thanks Maestro, how did you find the dyes from LMII? I also ordered my fingerboard through them and was looking to try their dyes. They are a hell of a lot cheaper than the stewmac dyes!! Did you get the water of alcohool reducable ones? Did you stain the wood firt or mix it in the lacquer?

You wouldn't know what's an english translation of "Salmiakgeist" ?

BTW Ace, here in Holland I can access Clou Nitro-cellullose lacquer and dyes, turns out Clou is a German company. I was shown yesterday at a paint shop near my house powdered dyes and pigment of that Clou stuff in several different colors.

I guess you could have a look at their website. www.clou.de

BTW Ace, here in Holland I can access Clou Nitro-cellullose lacquer and dyes, turns out Clou is a German company. I was shown yesterday at a paint shop near my house powdered dyes and pigment of that Clou stuff in several different colors.

I guess you could have a look at their website. www.clou.de

Ammonium hydroxide, to answer your first question (checked the Altavista translator thingie, I'm smart but I'm not THAT geeky that I'd know that off the cuff *lol*)

About the Clou stuff, I've seen their products in the hardware stores but they only had the pre-bottled dyes, not even all of them and so I didn't find what I was looking for. There is a nice blue-ish tone however trhat I'm taking into consideration. Unfortunately I couldn't find any colour samples on their website. However they have a small tutorial section on their page but pg has way more info I think ;-)

Well, seeing as we are the only ones who have voted on the Euro thread so far, I'm gonna post a poll in the appropriate section :D.

So Marcel, how was ordering from LMII? Did shipping kill you? How long did it take for the goods to arrive at your doorstep?

so long

ace B)

Did you get the water of alcohool reducable ones? Did you stain the wood firt or mix it in the lacquer?

I bought the water reducable ones. I did not use them so far so I cannot comment on their quality, but I guess they are just as great as everything else lmii sold me so far.

Quite difficult....geist means ghost, but Salmiak?

So Marcel, how was ordering from LMII? Did shipping kill you? How long did it take for the goods to arrive at your doorstep?

I always order from lmii. Shipping is very affordable and fast. Usually I got their stuff in under 7 days after ordering. Their service is that great it's hard to believe. Once they send me a special $90 rasp, I had already canceled the order for and as I complained they simply said I should keep the rasp for free....So I always recommend them.

Greets,

MK!

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...st=0#entry64404

Wow that's great, 7 days is pretty fast shipping and the service sounds cool. Prices are good, too and with a strong Euro I think we're saving quite a bit.

Only one more thing Marcel, have you been successful in finding inlay material in Germany so far? I've checked some "bastel"- resources but to no avail so far, google didn't turn up anything, and the only store for that kind of stuff in my area that I know of didn't have anything in that direction.

btw, the salmiakgeist question has been answered in my last post, too :D

so long

ace

@Ace: I cannot recommend inlay parts in Germany. To be honest I gave up looking for guitar supplies in Germany quite some time ago, as it is very hard to find what you want and then it is often even more expensive then ordering it from the USA, especially with such a weak $. The only thing i sometimes buy in Germany is wood from Espen and from Max Cropp.

Yeah that's what I thought, too. I have no problem with ordering overseas, done that a couple of times already with other stuff and never had a problem with it, but as far as inlay goes, I'd have liked to see the actual material "in real" before buying. It's not mandatory but it would have been a psychological factor, ya know. But for other supplies like hardware and stuff I find that Rockinger and Thomann have quite a good selection.

so long

ace