Saddle distance

Today I spent the morning on the position dots.

Using a exacto-knife, that I ground a "chisel" like end on, I used it like a scrapper and lightly scrapped the gunk / grime away. During this process one of the dots became loose. I lifted it out and using CA glue, glued it back in place.

I then used some tooth paste and polished them and buffed them with a dremel tool. They are looking much better now.

I then gave it another mineral oil conditioning.

The next step will be to scrape and clean the binding on the neck.

Ron

loose position dot.jpg

dots after_resized.jpg

11 .jpg

Today I worked on the neck binding. It's obviously plastic and yellowed with age and some grime from storage and what not.

It's pretty yellowed as the before picture showsyhDTNpm.jpg

But after very careful and slow tedious work it looks a lot better.  There's still some of the yellow left but I'm afraid of doing too much in fear of doing something bad.

SC5v8BA.jpg

also the other side

NQMXaQI.jpg

There was also some of the lining of the case that somehow got imbedded into the finish that I removed. There 's more of that which will have to be taken care of as well. I have no idea how this happens. It's a cheap case that came with the guitar and it is a little bit to big with very little protection on the inside.

CsTTp43.jpg

afterwards

7Z6XAE2.jpg

It's coming along but life seems to interfere when I just get started going. :(

Does anyone know what kind of wood in on the top and back?

Ron

Edited by RonMay
Final question to ask was left out.
  • Like 2

Today I'm going to do my best in repairing the cracks in the back. I'm trying two different methods. One of bordering the crack before gluing it and using a protected safety razor blade to scrape down the residue before sanding. The other is no tape and just using progressive sand paper to even it out. I have never done this before so this will be an interesting learning experience to say the least.

I taped up the worst of the two cracks and using CA glue, which was very thin, let it flow into the crack while I " opened it with upward inside pressure, then releasing it so that they would match up and cure together. For the most part is was successful. I applied "layers" of CA to help fill in the voids and unfortunately it also build up a straight line when the tape was removed. It took a lot of scraping and then sanding to bring it back to mostly level opposing sides. I got a little too aggressive on parts of it and wore down the finish to almost bare wood, so that will have to be re-stained in the future to try to match.

ODt6Qle.jpg

e3q3Xff.jpg

8d23Bun.jpg

b8b8hVc.jpg

The second crack and the one at the bottom I used no tape of a little on the bottom to keep it from flowing down the side.

8d23Bun.jpg

The second crack worked pretty well.

O2Gm5Jk.jpg

It almost turned invisible.

D6Mk4UO.jpg

The first one not so much. You can see the aggressive sanding showing the lighter wood under neath.

k8LxcM6.jpg

With the bottom there's still a little filling to do but it came out better than I expected.

6QI2hyF.jpg

It's still going to take a lot more work, but it turned out not as bad as I had feared it might.

flX5LkG.jpg

697tJi5.jpg

The two photos I have left to show won't load, so I guess that's it for now.

Next will be the one crack I know is on the front and any others I might find as well.

Ron

Edited by RonMay
to group the photos closer together

13 minutes ago, ScottR said:

This coming along nicely.

Isn't it surprising how far the little layer of very thin tape will raise the razor blade above the surrounding surface? There's way more left to sand flush than I ever expected.

SR

That's exactly what I found too. Around the edges of the tape it was very thick. I need to use CA to fill in on the bottom crack, but not today.

Is there a "touch up pen" or such for a mahogany finish like this one? I need to blend in the over sanded parts. 

Ron

45 minutes ago, RonMay said:

Is there a "touch up pen" or such for a mahogany finish like this one?

Yes. Look up stain touch up marker and you'll find more than you'll know what to do with. If you've got any leftover stain around the house you can thin it down with mineral spirits, and wrap a rag around your finger dip  a little into the thinned stain and then rub it mostly dry on scrap. Then rub the mostly dry stained rag over your bare spot and gradually darken it that way. It should stick to the wood and wipe off the finish. Test in a small spot or on scrap first of course.

SR

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RonMay said:

k8LxcM6.jpg

I wonder if the pale area of the repaired crack is where the original wood fibres weren't quite flush before you sanded them, and you've just taken off the high areas down to the bare wood. You may find that a little bit of clearcoat is all that it takes to restore the original colour.

• Like 1

Today I spent all morning on cleaning up the grime, crud, and funk off of the top binding on the pick guard side of the top bout. I need to find a rubber eraser, like we used to use in school, to use as a sanding block to make it easier on my fingers. 

before

nMTCfGy.jpg

eGiRVJD.jpg

after

Jz9MIzX.jpg

zH538vY.jpg

There's still a little yellowing left but it's looking a lot better than it did. This will continue for the next few days to come as it's taking a lot of time to do.

Ron

• Like 1

It seems like you're enjoying the task! Isn't it like sloooowly unwrapping a present you've wanted for a long time, knowing by the shape and size of the package that it's the real thing?

Clear nail varnish might be a good add-on to your toolbox as it's pretty similar to the guitar finishes.

• Like 1

To help with the sound board binding I made a small finger sanding block.

I can slip the end the sandpaper in between the jaws of the pin and i'm thinking of a small screw and a washer to hold down the back end of the paper.

It should make it easier on my fingers and a more solid contact with the binding with out rounding the outside corners.

P7nCLtY.jpg

Dzdu1Ic.jpg

OZADR8Q.jpg

• Like 2

Have you ever heard about the "masking tape and super glue" trick?

It's arguable whether it's strong enough for routing or other power tool tasks (I've had no issues so far) but it's perfect for applying sanding paper to most any material.

You simply burnish masking tape on both surfaces and glue them back to back with super glue. There's good double sided tapes but they often add softness where it's not needed, they may creep and what may be the most irritating thing is that removing them can be a PITA whereas masking tape comes off like - masking tape. You might wonder (like I did) why not just glue the sandpaper to the back of the tape. That's because there's no telling about the quality of the sandpaper, the glue might seep through and you definitely don't want to rub your instrument with CA glue! Masking tape is made for not to let liquids through.

• Like 2