Saddle distance

The three months have been a pleasure to follow your progress with her.

And the calluses will grow sooner than you'd believe as the pressure needed is in your muscle memory. I recall my first attempt to play the guitar. Classical nylon strings should be the best for a beginner, yet trying to figure out the dots for three chords from the book seemed to split my fingertips halfways to my knuckles. It wasn't until the next morning that my fingertips had recovered to their normal shape...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today I did the "steam neck reset".

I did it like in the video, but used a dial indicator at the bridge / saddle end to measure how much "lift" I was getting when lowering the top.

I raised the straight edge the amount I figured, and noted where the position was in relationship to the saddle and it ended up being about ,200" raise.

I totally expect some spring back in 3 or so weeks when the clamps come off, so I may have to do the procedure again. The luthier in the video mentioned that it might take 2 or 3 times, but I think this might actually do the trick. 

XNq2kej.jpg

53aWgFs.jpg

7Vlk9Jm.jpg

Now it's the waiting game. I might actually leave it  little longer than 3 weeks, maybe a month. This is going to feel like eternity.

Ron

7 hours ago, RonMay said:

This is going to feel like eternity.

Christmas is coming so you can spend the waiting time for running around in hypermarkets - oh no you can't! But you can do all the Xmas cleaning to please the lady of the house! Fun fun fun! 🤪

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The steam neck reset was a partial success. I reduced the string action distance by 0.050". However it's still way to high and too much to take off the saddle and still have some saddle left with enough string break. So, I'll be doing it again and increase the amount of time that in applying the steam.

Here's what she sounds like and a Merry Christmas, a day late, to everyone here at Project Guitar Forum. :)

My fingers just won't move like they used to and I am way out of practice with the little skill I even had but my late brother's guitar is sounding great. I'm using GHS Silk and Steel 10 - 42 strings to help with lessen the pull of the strings on the neck.

Merry Christmas.

Ron

• Like 2