"Fish On" Fretless Bass Project

On 8/15/2022 at 6:04 AM, mistermikev said:

thank you sir, very much means the world to me coming from you.  giant pita but this is territory I really want to expand into so... grab the scuba gear and dive!

I'm with Andy. I love the inlay choices and execution!

SR

• Like 2

well... finally used the 10 deg scarf jig this weekend.  It went very smooth but I'll fully admit -my ass cheeks were sufficiently puckered with 3" of saw blade sticking out of the saw and spinning around. 

It is hard having the patience in that scenario... to not rush the cut - rushing will flex the saw blade a bit and you end up with a rounded edge.  Go too slow and you'll burnish the surface and glue won't hold well there.  no burnish issues for me but clearly I rushed just a little bit at the start.  all things considered... I'm pretty satisfied with the join.

these shots are with a lot of flash cause I wanted to sit and look at the join... "don't it make my purple heart brown?"  Wanted to step back a moment and decide if I should stick some a piece of mahog/purpleheart-or-maple in between the headstock pieces to allow for A) less obvious transition and B ) more of a vallute.  If you have an opinion I would love to hear it.

IMG_4665.thumb.JPG.eb29aa89b67e8bcac2e82f0fd262e5c7.JPG

IMG_4664.thumb.JPG.a11931110d11aaa7be7b39e621c9c33e.JPG

IMG_4663.thumb.JPG.ea72baf747d6be60b577b196184e10cc.JPG

IMG_4662.thumb.JPG.23d1e6155d77254d783c51e9d98dae48.JPG

IMG_4661.thumb.JPG.4b9a744504ea36e007d2b775ba8655a7.JPG

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

Wanted to step back a moment and decide if I should stick some a piece of mahog/purpleheart-or-maple in between the headstock pieces to allow for A) less obvious transition and B ) more of a vallute.  If you have an opinion I would love to hear it.

The purpleheart would blend in better from the sides. Have you decided on a volute shape or are you letting the wood 'talk' to you? 😉

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JGTay said:

The purpleheart would blend in better from the sides. Have you decided on a volute shape or are you letting the wood 'talk' to you? 😉

thanks for reply.

vollute - I have a design completed... so volute is pretty settled but due to the limitations of my working area I have to revisit and split into 3 parts (boo) so might revisit it.  my stock is about 1" so technically as is the volute would be ltd to 1/4" which is prob fine but on a 5 string 35" scale... can always use a lil' more.

tend to agree... that at least on the purpleheart version there is something there I'm not crazy about with the lam neck stock meeting the plain headstock.  It might look better once it's shaped but that's the trick... trying to see the future.  I get the feeling a 3/8" thick piece of flamed maple might go a long way there.  thanks for the input.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

little progress today... got my prototype neck here on my 'final product' body.  super thin profile - had a lot of concerns about rigidity.  idk if it's the sapelle/oak or the carbon fiber reinforcement... but feels incredibly rigid.  everything fits good so... process the headstock and then on to the purple-heart/maple version.

IMG_4677.thumb.JPG.65e7b18e9acf7024449862c50d107944.JPG

IMG_4675.thumb.JPG.f4b6b3d88614ce8a46f7645538d2c17e.JPG

IMG_4676.thumb.JPG.09219644d1f6d1f6ef9e1ff40eeed35f.JPG

• Like 4

so... just wanted to take a moment to appreciate this tool:

IMG_4679.thumb.JPG.92a20904d488b8ffd8c5eebee07d7cfa.JPG

leftover from my days working with laminate.  have had it for 20+ years now.  I don't do laminate anymore, but for applying any tape... man this makes it stick soo much better!

doh, so this is how I will process my headstock.  learned a lot on this build.  started this eons ago - before the two teles and first time doing an angled headstock on my machine.  also my machine is only 23.5" of workspace and this is a 35" scale neck... so challenges upon challenges.

I learned that, for this style of neck - a scarf joint - it doesn't make any sense to try to do your design including the angle.  my original design did... and ended up breaking it down into 3 pieces... and treating them as two .9" thick pieces and one .625" thick headstock.  different zero points on each.  anywho... hold my beer I'm going to go try something!

IMG_4678.JPG

5 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Are testing a new season your wood as you use it process?

This is a visual masterpiece Mike, absolutely gorgeous and yet tasteful.

Finish it already.

:)

SR

Are testing a new season your wood as you use it process?  not sure what you mean?

This is a visual masterpiece Mike thank you scott, that means a lot to me!  

Finish it already - hehe, this has been one of those projects that has been fraught with delays, mistakes... got delay by the teles, had issues with my carve and having a LOT of hand work to do on it, my cnc stepper driver motor went to shit while cutting the neck pocket... and more recently... after getting most of the purpleheart neck cut... I realize the headstock is approx 3/16 short of wide enough for my design... so last night was working on trimming the sides of the headstock square so I can graft on some purpleheart and make it wider.  in short... it's not for lack of effort that it's taking me forever! 

my still to do list (this is just for me to help organize):

finish purpleheart version headstock

cut some inlay logo and "fish on" letters for both headstocks

install veneer for fretmarkers and edge details on neck/headstocks

work out the bridge piece...

redrill my stud holes...

figure out wire channels for piezo pickup...

do cavity covers

a truss cover

wireup 

finishing

21 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

Are testing a new season your wood as you use it process?  not sure what you mean?

Just yanking your chain a little. Your wood has seasoned two and a half years since you started this project...."eons ago" as you said. You are getting into @mattharris75 territory. Of course his stuff is all beautiful, so that's a great place to be.

SR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

Just yanking your chain a little. Your wood has seasoned two and a half years since you started this project...."eons ago" as you said. You are getting into @mattharris75 territory. Of course his stuff is all beautiful, so that's a great place to be.

SR

ahh yes... this wood is most def extra seasoned!  it was probably 1.5 years seasoned to start with and a couple arizona 120 deg summers so... should be some stable stuff!

as learning experiences go... man this one has taken me to the cleaners so many times.  I'm thankful I made it this far but there is still a lot to NOT screw up!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShatnersBassoon said:

Oh man...your builds never fail to impress. If you aren’t taking loads of commissions then you should be! 😎

he said "taking loads" hehe sorry, I can't help myself! 

honestly flattered, but it is an idea i have dreaded (commissioned build) as once you put that sort of pressure on a build... it is much harder to do well, or at least that's how I envision it would be if I did that! 

that said...  a man can only afford to build so many guitars before his wife starts giving him the eye... so it may be an inevitable eventuality.

thank you for the kind words mr shat

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, henrim said:

Beautiful work! I’m amazed how balanced it looks for such a complex shape. 

well thank you sir.  I guess we'll see about actual weight balance here shortly.  might try to relieve some weight from the body yet as it seems a bit heavy... but i guess we'll see.  thank you again for the kind words.

8 hours ago, ScottR said:

SR

I feel personally attacked. 🤣

FYI, I do have an update coming soon!

• Haha 2